Origin: England, Norwich City
Class: FCI classification: 3rd group (terriers), section 2 (small dogs)
Use: Rodent Hunt, Companion
Color: gray, red, wheat, black, grizzly
Sizes: height at the withers: males - 28-30 cm, females - 25-26 cm: weight: average weight of both males and females 5-6 kg
Life span: 12 to 16 years
Small, lively and cunning - that is how dog breeders of this breed characterize it.
Not only character traits, but also the shape of the muzzle connect them with the fox.
Due to its intelligence and learning ability, the Norwich Terrier breed often takes part, for example, in the filming of advertisements.
The fate of the TV star often befell the dogs of the Boston Terrier breed . The Norwegians of the latter are also related by the similarity of the characters of these breeds.
Norwich Terrier calmly refers to loneliness. That is why the dog is popular among busy people. She can be left all day and not worry that she is temper tantrums at home
The Norwich Terrier is the result of a cross between three breeds. Mobile creatures were born at the end of the 19th century in eastern England.
The Norwich Terrier has a twin brother - the Norfolk Terrier . Their difference is only in the ears, among the Norwich they are erect, and the Norfolk are hanging.
They are also very similar in nature.
There was a time when this breed was called the Cambridge Terrier. She was a symbol of the school.
And the reason is very simple - among students, these little miracles have become popular. This happened approximately 10 years after breeding.
The tousled hair of animals gave them another name - shaggy, that is, “rags”.
Although the breed was bred in England, but one of the most popular has won in America. In this country, the breed was called the "Jones Terrier."
Owners often complain that Norwich Terrier dogs become uncontrollable when released from a leash on the street. The hunt for other dogs and birds begins. This is a disadvantage that can be eliminated by training the animal. But it is impossible to completely eradicate the hunter's instinct
- Not aggressive . In relation to people do not show negative qualities. But you can get a dog crazy. For this, disrespect for her is enough: tugging at the tail, blows.
- He is calm about loneliness. That is why the dog is popular among busy people. You can leave her for the whole day and not worry that she arranges tantrums at home.
- The dominance of the hunter's natural instincts. Owners often complain that dogs become uncontrollable when released from a leash on the street. The hunt for other dogs and birds begins. This is a disadvantage that can be eliminated by training the animal. But it is impossible to completely eradicate instinct.
The Norwich Terrier will be happy to learn teams. They need daily mental work. Otherwise, they will get bored and may become either unmanageable or depressed.
- Relation to other animals. If we take a puppy's Norwich Terrier, then there is a chance that he will get used to other pets in the house if they were taken with him at the same time, or if another animal lived in the apartment earlier. In the opposite case, it is possible that your house will be an ongoing hunt.
- Attitude towards children. Representatives of this breed, like Beaver Yorks , are very kind to children. The main thing is that the child does not torment the puppy.
- Smart. The terrier will be happy to learn teams. They need daily mental work. Otherwise, they will get bored and may become either uncontrollable or depressed.
- Brave, brave. In front of another dog, he can stand up for himself.
- Restless. He needs space so that there is a place to pour out energy. This does not mean that the Norwich Terrier will not be able to live in the apartment. Long active walks are simply necessary.
Now basically a Norwich Terrier is a true friend and smart companion of a person. Of course, he is not the one who can sit in his arms while you are walking with friends around the city. He needs a move
Barn Pied Piper or one whose task is to drive the fox out of the hole. These are its initial functions, like wire-haired and smooth-haired fox terriers .
Now basically a Norwich Terrier is a true friend and smart companion of a person.
Of course, he is not the one who can sit on his hands while you are walking with friends in the city. He needs a move.
Representatives of this breed are very kind to children. The main thing is that the child does not torment the puppy
How to choose a puppy
A certain tail bend, setting ears, proportions - this is what you need to look at when choosing a puppy, especially if you want to buy a Norwich terrier for exhibitions.
Important! Before evaluating the kids, pay attention to the parents, or at least one of their representatives. If it meets the breed standard, then its description must comply with the standards.
- The skull is round, wide between the ears.
- There is a clear transition from the forehead to the muzzle.
- The muzzle is wedge-shaped, massive, slightly shorter than the skull.
- Scissor bite - the upper teeth overlap the lower. The teeth do not protrude, but are located perpendicular to the jaw.
- Ears are erect with pointed ends.
- The neck is wide, flowing smoothly into the shoulders.
Texas norwich terrier
- The tail should be as straight as possible, can be stopped. The tail is thick at the base, then a gradual narrowing is observed.
- The legs are short.
- Cat's paws. When walking and standing, they are directed forward. Important! Any angle of inclination of the paws indicates the marriage of the dog.
- The coat is stiff with a thick undercoat. The greatest length in the neck - forms a sleeve.
- It is possible that the coat will be in the following color: fawn, blackcloth (black and tan), zonar, all shades of red. White markings are not a good sign; color is not an FCI standard.
The puppy should be like parents already in 3-4 months. And also do not have paws with a mark - they should not be scattered.
The hind legs should be pulled back slightly. Bad sign if they are under the body. It means the underdevelopment of the baby or bad heredity.
Norwich Terrier found a nook to relax
The breed does not cause problems for the owner to care for, but still has its own characteristics.
Representatives of this breed can withstand different climatic conditions.
And all because they are, after all, essentially hunters, and must be hardy.
Norwich Terrier morning marathon
Coat is the dog’s most vulnerable spot because it requires trimming.
Plucking off dead hair is necessary because tough wool does not shed seasonally at the terriers and does not fall out without additional help.
The procedure is different from just combing. You can learn how to trim and even cut your hair yourself, but most often the owners of Norwich Terriers have to turn to grooming specialists.
If this service is expensive for you, then buy a dog clipper , a stripping knife, a furminator, and get to work.
Important! Dog breeders are advised to pluck a couple of videos on the Internet before plucking wool. So less likely that you will do something wrong.
If you live in an apartment, then be prepared for the fact that the Norwich Terrier breed is quite active dogs. They will be bored at home. Therefore, daily time must be devoted to physical activity and games
If you live in an apartment, then be prepared for the fact that the Norwich Terrier breed is quite active dogs. They will be bored at home.
Therefore, daily time needs to be devoted to physical activity and games like agility . The dog is reasonably intelligent and requires charging for the mind.
The best option is walking on a harness twice a day. Although some owners teach the Norwich Terrier a puppy to the tray. And walks are arranged only once a day.
If you want to learn how to train a puppy in a diaper, we advise you to read the following article: https://kot-pes.com/kak-priuchit-sobaku-k-pelenke/
Norwich Terrier - the dog is very smart. One of them got a professor at the university.
Unpretentious breed of food. Now there are fairly well- balanced feeds with which you can feed the dog.
But no one forbids cooking the dog food on their own. It must be:
- meat: beef, poultry various (only boiled);
- cereals: rice, oatmeal, buckwheat;
- vegetables and fruits. What to choose, you need to look at the preferences of your animal;
- dairy products: low-fat cottage cheese, kefir, yogurt;
- vegetable oil, as an additive to porridge, for example.
Important! There should be no pork in the diet of the Norwich Terrier. It is very heavy for the dog’s stomach.
Since the purpose of the dog is hunting, the Norwich Terrier puppies are quite hardy, and diseases rarely attack them.
But if the dog gets sick, then most often for the breed it is: epilepsy, tracheal collapse, brachycephalic syndrome (elongated soft palate).
More about epilepsy in dogs: https://kot-pes.com/epilepsiya-u-sobak-lechenie-kak-prekratit-pristupyi/
Norwich terrier needs space so that there is a place to pour out energy. This does not mean that the Norwich Terrier will not be able to live in the apartment. Long active walks are simply necessary.
Rabies, plague, infectious hepatitis - so that all this is not familiar to your pet, you must not forget about vaccination.
The first vaccination is in 2 months, first you need to check the dog for worms (this is required). If there are helminths, then the effect of the vaccine is not.
The article https://kot-pes.com/kak-opredelit-est-li-u-sobaki-glisty/ will tell you how to determine if a dog has worms.
You need to be vaccinated regularly, as directed by your veterinarian.
The most important thing is to choose a thoroughbred dog for mating. Without the so-called marriages.
This will allow you to sell puppies expensively, for the breed Norwich Terrier, the price is rather high.
You can protect yourself from cheating - evaluate the dog according to FCI standards.