Longhair cats require constant painstaking care. Often, from the owners of such pets you can hear complaints about the formation of coats on the wool. It is worth not combing the pet in time, and the problem is gaining momentum. But warlocks are formed not only due to insufficient care.
What are the warlocks
Trichome, popularly known as warlocks, is a pathology of wool. When an animal suffers from trichomes, its hairs are subject to clumping and tangling. This forms a lump that cannot be combed out. To the touch, the tangler looks like a woolen fabric.
Koltuny - the problem most common in longhair cats
The occurrence of warlocks is due to friction of the wool, so most often they appear:
- on the stomach and tail;
- in the inguinal region;
- on the paws from the inside.
The back and neck suffer much less.
Nature of occurrence
Cat lovers believe that the appearance of lumps in the coat is possible for two reasons:
- poor care or late combing;
- local pathologies (problems in a specific area of the skin).
But veterinarians identify a more serious number of reasons:
- dirty hair - hairs stick together, attracting dust and dirt;
- stress in the animal (the body intensively produces hormones, which makes the hair quickly becomes dirty and sticks together);
- hormonal problems that can imbalance the metabolic processes of the skin;
- impaired metabolism;
- parasitic infestation, for example, fleas or ticks;
- disease, advanced age (which again entails a violation of metabolic processes in the body);
- improper diet, poor feeding - in addition to colts, this causes an imbalance in the epidermis, provokes dandruff;
- violation of the rules of bathing - when bathing a long-haired cat must be thoroughly combed, smoothing all the hairs, do the same when drying.
Warlocks spoil the appearance of the animal. But they also annoy the pet and cause discomfort. Because of this, the cat itself can begin to tear them, while injuring the skin. Such actions can provoke the development of skin diseases.
The danger of warlocks
Any tangler, even the smallest, must be removed in a timely manner for the following reasons:
- in the future it will become big;
- at the base of the woolen lump, the skin is not supplied with oxygen, which leads to disruption of its functioning and the development of pathogenic microorganisms.
The cat does not have the opportunity to lick the place of the cleaver well, so it will remain without purification. Also, the animal is trying to itch through the tongue. Usually this ends with a claw injury, skin scratching. Bacteria penetrate the wound and provoke the process of inflammation.
In advanced cases, extensive wound surfaces can be found under the warlords.
An animal with warlocks is practically not treatable for parasites. There is a simple explanation for this: despite the dense structure of the woolen lump, fleas settle in its core and lay eggs in the same place.
Therefore, the warlocks must be removed. To do this, there is a special tool - koltunorez.
What is Koltunorez
The tool used to remove lumps of felted wool is called a koltunorez. The cat hair accessory is easy to use. The appearance of the tool resembles a peeler or comb. Blades with parallel arrangement have one-sided sharpening. This makes the collunorez safe for the animal and host.
Varieties of chippers
There are several types of chippers. The use of a certain type of tool depends on the place from which the defects of the coat will be removed.
Vertical Colt Cutter
In appearance, such a tool is similar to a simple comb for cats, equipped with long teeth with a single-row arrangement. The teeth are blades sharpened on one side. Their number can vary from 4 to 12 pieces. Blades pose no danger to the cat. Their length and sharpness are selected relative to the cat's coat: its length, density. If the pet is restless and spinning during hygiene procedures, it is better if the koltunorez will be equipped with blades with bent ends.
Curled clove cutter is the safest option for your pet
Horizontal slitter cutter
Most owners of fluffy cats prefer this particular type of tool. Outwardly, such a koltunorez looks like a vegetable knife. Its blades are sharpened on one side, the other remains rounded. The number of blades can range from 4 to 12, and the length is selected depending on the pet’s coat.
It is more convenient to use horizontal koltunorezom to remove lumps of wool on the sides of the animal
This type of tool is used for hard to reach places such as the auricles, groin, paws, armpits.
Koltunorez drop is equipped with a single blade. The tool is convenient to use, especially if you need to remove the tundra so that the animal does not notice this (for pets, it is not touched).
Koltunorez drop suitable for the rapid removal of small tangles
Table: Popular Choppers
|Tool||Title||Price (rub per piece)|
|Single-blade koltunorez drop, pocket||Hello pet||272|
|Side cutter, 9 blades||Artero||785|
|Curved Cutter||Artero special||970|
|Koltunorez direct, lateral||Zolux||525|
|Koltunorez, 15 cm||TRIXIE||379|
Photo gallery: tools to remove the warlocks of popular manufacturers
- Artero Special with curved blades - a professional rare tapper made of durable stainless steel with a comfortable rubberized handle
- The grooming tools of the Italian company Artero are made of high quality materials that allows you to use them for a long time
- The TRIXIE cutter has bent toothed edges, the anti-slip handle fits comfortably and comfortably in your hand
- ZOLUX - a vertical miter cutter, developed in France taking into account the anatomical features of the animal, copes well even with old mats
- The small Hello Pet drop worm takes up little space, so you can carry it around with you all the time.
Video: review of the TRIXIE chipper
How a koltunorez fights with koltunami
Slicers have a common principle of action. Making movements as when combing, the tool is carried out along the hair in problem areas along the line of hair growth. Koltunorez divides the lump into strands, gently cuts off non-untangling hairs. Next, the cut off wool is removed with a conventional scar.
Horizontal and vertical miter cutters are mainly used to remove numerous mats on the abdomen, sides of the animal. If a cat develops single, separate lumps of hair, it is better to use a teardrop-shaped tool that cuts the cleaver without affecting other areas of the hair.
I have three cats, live in the courtyard in a private house. And then one morning, in the fall, I go out to feed them and I see a terrible picture: all cats have coats. It turned out that at night there was a strong wind, from which the grass fell. There are a lot of weeds with seeds that cling to clothes and, of course, wool. That is, along those paths where cats used to walk quietly, now they had to make their way. I saw the result in the morning. It was not possible to cut such a number of mats in all three. In the store advised Koltunorez. I didn’t even know that such happen, I followed a rare ridge. My beauties love to comb their hair. In general, I managed very quickly with the help of a cutter. The wool has regained its former appearance. During the season, it came in handy several more times (cats wandered, apparently, with their usual paths).
How to choose a koltunorez
The rules for choosing a cat accessory for hair care are hampered by a large assortment in the market of veterinary supplies. In stores you can find tools whose brands have long been proven to be the best. There are those whose manufacturer is not known to anyone, but this does not affect the quality.
When choosing a slitter cutter, a number of parameters are taken into account:
- The number of blades. When a pet lives at home and does not accept street walks, and its fur is always under the control of the owner, then the choice should be made in favor of a tool with a small number of blades, for example, 4-6 cloves. If the cat goes for a walk outside, and the owner is very busy and can not always control the condition of the animal’s hair, it is necessary to purchase a collunorez with the maximum number of blades.
- The length of the cutting parts. Universal is considered the average length, which is suitable for any wool (13-15 cm). But if the warlocks are in a state of neglect, then you need to use a tool with the longest teeth (17–19 cm).
- The material of manufacture. One of the most important criteria when choosing a slitter is metal blades. Koltunorez does not lend itself to additional sharpening, that is, as you use it yourself, you cannot bring the blades to their original state. Therefore, when choosing a tool, it is worth giving preference to models with high quality steel blades. Then the accessory will be durable for a long time.
- Base. The importance of the handle of the cutter. You need to choose tools in which it is rubberized and lie comfortably in your hand.
The technology of trimming cutters is not a big deal. It is enough to know a few simple rules:
- Before use, the tool is washed with soap and dried. If this is his first use after purchase, then you can pour blades over boiling water.
- Do not start the procedure if the animal is wound up or irritated. The cat should be in a calm state, ideal in sleepy.
They use koltunorezom as follows:
- The animal should be picked up and gently probed at the places where the warlocks formed.
- If possible, coat the hair with cosmetics to facilitate combing.
- The process of cutting tangles resembles combing. Turning the tool blades down, the conch cutter is led in the direction of the lump. Sudden movements are not necessary.
- Koltun combed as many times as needed to smooth out a coma.
- After removing the tangles, the animal is combed out with a curler to collect the remains of cut hairs.
My parents have a fluffy cat whose hair care lies with me. Her hair is all down. I have a furminator for cats with medium-long hair (I saw three species: for short-haired, for medium-long hair and long-haired). I bought it for my cat, but I tried it on my cat’s cat too. And, unfortunately, he simply does not comb her hair 🙁 Although I periodically comb out piles of wool from my cat. I also have a koltunorez, so I’m scratching my parent cat with them. I have never cut myself or her. It’s much more convenient for them to cut the tangles than to cut them with scissors. And then, until you find the edge of the tang in the thickness of cat's hair, the cat will twist five times (she does not like to comb her hair 😀), and I'm afraid to cut her skin by accident. I cut the Koltun and comb out everything with a comb calmly. I don’t always succeed in coming to scratch a cat, therefore, unfortunately, I often have to deal with tangles.
Today I experienced a drop on Maine coon - I am delighted! Nothing to do with ordinary chippers! Simple and painless for the beast, and most importantly, saved the wool for exhibitions!
First and foremost, a koltunorez is necessary for owners of long-haired cats: Persian, Maine Coons, Norwegians, Siberian, Angora. If the formation of tangles on the animal’s hair is a frequent process, then close attention should be paid to the diet and care of the cat. When it’s impossible to deal with the problem on your own, the best way is to contact a veterinarian. The specialist will determine the true cause of the disease and help to effectively correct it.