Cats personify cosiness and comfort in the house. The warmth of their wool, measured purrs, quiet treads and gentle rubbing - all permeated with tenderness. Cats cause special feelings in people and the desire to pick up and hug. But do cats need it, and what are the consequences of these tendernesses for humans?
Do cats need human tenderness?
Cats love to show affection for their owners. They show this by rubbing on their feet, purring, butting their heads, and stamping their paws. But, being very independent animals, they prefer to do this when they want to. People may mistakenly understand these actions, which have very specific meanings:
- rubbing and butting can signal the solicitation of goodies;
- “Stomp” - a desire to create an atmosphere of security, this is from childhood, when the kitten crumpled the mother’s breast, stimulating milk production;
- purring is an indication of a cat’s relaxed state.
People, on the contrary, at every opportunity like to grab the animal in their arms, squeeze, mash and, as a final chord, peck on the nose.
Of course, there are many examples of how cats hug with their owners, like to soak on their knees, persistently beg for affection and themselves vigorously show their love. But there is a category of pets that avoid such manifestations of feelings. Moreover, they behave aggressively and release claws.
Some cats dutifully demolish all claims, especially children. You can swaddle them, roll them in a stroller, put them to bed with you, play with them like with live toys. But such “stamina” among cats is still the exception rather than the rule.
Cats are pleased with the manifestation of a gentle attitude on the part of the owner, but only if at the moment the animal itself is located towards it. In addition, some pets allow only certain methods of affection: stroking the head, scratching behind the ear and chin.
Why you can not hug and kiss cats
But be that as it may, tactile contact with the animal will always be associated with a certain risk:
- This is due primarily to hygiene. Cats are not people: they don’t take shower every day, do not wash their paws with soap and do not brush their teeth.
- The second aspect is medical. The latent diseases present at the pet is a time bomb. This is especially true for "walking" pets. Absolutely domestic cats can also be a threat, which can catch the infection introduced by the owner on the shoes.
The owner can bring an infection into the house on the sole of the shoes, only lying on his shoes doesn’t occur to him, many pets do this with pleasure, studying unfamiliar odors
- The third point is the psychology of the animal, its character and temperament. Stormy affection on the part of a person can cause discomfort and even pain to a furry roommate. As a result, bites and scratches. And such injuries can be difficult to treat.
- Well, the most dubious of the prohibitions is mystical. For centuries, humans have endowed cats with mystical abilities. These animals often became heroes of signs, myths and legends. And if the latter are still beautiful fairy tales, then many signs are not without foundation.
The first mention of the otherworldly powers of cats came from ancient Egypt. There, these animals were revered as sacred. It was believed that cats are guides to another world and protect people from spirits. For an encroachment on the life of a cat, you could pay your own.
But already in the Middle Ages, the attitude towards cats has changed. They began to be considered the messengers of the devil, and the presence of a cat in the house could arouse suspicion of witchcraft. During the Inquisition, cats were burned with witches at the stake. By the way, it was the mass destruction of these animals that led to the plague epidemic in Europe. But even then they managed to accuse them of witchcraft, attributing to them revenge for the destruction. In addition, it was believed that if a person kisses a cat, it will become her slave. Allegedly, this is a kiss with the devil, and after it the soul is doomed to go to hell.
But the Slavs, on the contrary, loved and respected cats. It was believed that through a cat a brownie could inform a person of impending danger. Everyone knows how cats go crazy long before a fire or flood. They wake their masters, thereby saving their life.
The main sign of the Slavs: do not touch the cat to pregnant women, otherwise the child will be born with a "bristle" - is closely related to hygiene and medicine. Even then, people knew about dangerous diseases transmitted to humans from these animals.
Cat - a carrier of dangerous diseases
Cats are carriers of such dangerous diseases:
- Rabies is a deadly disease. Transmitted through saliva, bites and scratches. It has various forms: aggressive and affectionate. The most dangerous form is affectionate, since the behavior of the pet for a long time does not cause suspicion. There is no cure. The outcome is always fatal in both the pet and the person. You can protect yourself only by vaccinating against this infection in advance.
- Lichen is a very unpleasant disease caused by fungi. It affects the skin and hair. In the absence of treatment for severe cases in an animal, its death occurs. A person may experience serious complications. Children and people with reduced immunity are especially susceptible to this disease. There is a risk of infection in absolutely domestic cats through contact with street shoes.
- Toxoplasmosis is an asymptomatic, latent disease in humans. It proceeds like a mild cold, and passes on its own. Antibodies remain in the blood. It poses a serious threat to pregnant women, as it causes the development of severe fetal abnormalities, right up to the termination of pregnancy.
- Helminthiasis - infection with worms. Severe complications can occur, as well as defeat by special types of helminths of vital organs, up to the brain.
- “Cat Scratch Disease” is a disease that perfectly disguises itself as any infectious disease: from the common cold to lymphadenitis. Difficulty in true diagnosis leads to incorrect treatment tactics. The result is protracted. Most often, children get sick.
- Chlamydia is a disease caused by chlamydia. These organisms are a cross between viruses and bacteria, so it is difficult to fight them. In humans, it can manifest as conjunctivitis. Particularly dangerous infection for pregnant women, can lead to intrauterine infection of the child.
Photo Gallery: Cats Diseases Dangerous to Humans in Cats
- Rabies is a deadly infection for unvaccinated cats and humans.
- Chlamydia often affects the mucous membrane of the eyes
- Ringworm is treated for a very long time
Even if the pet is absolutely healthy and regularly visits the doctor, this does not mean that it can be hugged and kissed. There are no problems with affectionate and loving cats: they fully trust their owner and perfectly understand his actions. But in nature, “hot hugs” do not mean love at all. From the point of view of the cat, and she is a predator, deprivation of the ability to move is a signal of mortal danger. The cat will do its best to break free. Hence, scratches and bites, unwillingness to sit on hands and a negative attitude to any kind of touch. Many owners, knowing the intractable nature of their pet, always warn their guests in advance.
Such a wayward cat lives with my mother. We picked him up, a newborn, in the trash. My cat just fed the kittens, and adopted a foundling. Among all, he seemed the most affectionate, it was decided to leave him "in the family." But outside of feline society, he showed his independent character. In the mornings, he licks his mother’s hair on his head, pokes his nose under his chin, tries to wash her face (all this he did with his cat-mother), but try to touch him during the day! His daily life is ambushes and attacks on prey, the role of which is the hostess. It got to the point that mom wears a spray bottle with water in her coat pocket in order to cool down the hunter's ardor in time. He never scratches or bites her, but it's still not very nice to wait for an attack from every angle.
Video: why not kiss cats
Rules for safe communication
For a serene neighborhood with your pet, a simple respect for him is enough. Do not grab the cat if he is sleeping. No need to go to him when he eats. Then the risk of getting a couple of claw hits is minimized. These rules need to be taught to children.
If Barsik is an avid summer resident, then upon arrival in the city you must definitely show him to the doctor to check for lichen, and also give him anthelmintic drugs regularly.
Hermit cats do not need constant bathing. But if the kitty nevertheless jumped out onto the stairwell, then a hygienic shower would not hurt her.
The soft fur of cats causes a pleasant tactile sensation. But common sense and concern for your health should prevail in communication with your pet. And respect for the pet in general should take first place in the relationship. Therefore, all tenderness should be in moderation and in no case be intrusive. Then life together will be calm and serene.