If a four-legged friend has appeared in the house, then the owners should think about a lot - visiting a veterinary clinic, a convenient berth, a schedule of walking and, of course, about proper nutrition. If we are talking about ready-made feeds, then in this case it is enough to consult with the veterinarian or breeder about which brand of feed to choose and how to calculate the portion. A much larger question arises if it is planned to feed the dog with conventional products. Let's figure out how to feed the dog correctly and how?
Basic rules for feeding a dog
To date, a lot of research has been done on the proper nutrition of dogs, but so far experts cannot agree on some points of view. But still there are basic rules for feeding pets:
- It is good when the food is in moderation. Do not rely solely on the dog’s appetite in determining the norm of food. Often they eat much more than they need. Only experience will tell you how much food is required for the pet to be full and not overeat.
- The dog has 20 minutes to saturate. It is strongly recommended that you clean the food after 20 minutes after it has been delivered. In this case, you should not pay attention to how much the dog ate, even if she did not touch the food at all. With such feeding, the pet will not have poor-quality, half-day food that has stood, and he will be accustomed to eating on schedule.
- Enough of two feedings per day. For an adult pet, two meals a day is the norm. You should adhere to the temporary regime and the same servings of food.
- No need to salt food. All foods contain salt, and this amount is enough for the dog.
- Bowl stand required. You can purchase a special stand or make it yourself. It will allow to put bowls of food at the level of the sternum of the animal so that the dog does not lean down. A convenient option is a tripod mount, with which you can adjust the height of the stand.
- It is necessary to provide the dog with fresh water. This is especially important when feeding a pet with prepared feeds. A bowl of water is also installed on the stand. Even if the pet has water left in the evening, in the morning it is necessary to replace it with fresh one.
- You need to give preference to more valuable products. For example, it is impossible to replace part of a portion of meat with cereals or vegetables for reasons of economy.
- When skipping feeding, you should not offer the pet a double rate. If there was a failure in the mode, then you should not shift the schedule and try to feed the dog more. The portion should be the same.
- Empirically, it is necessary to determine the necessary portion. If a pet eats all the food every time and completely licks the dishes, then it means that you should slightly increase the portion. After some time, it will be possible to find out how much food the dog needs so that it is full and does not gain extra pounds. When overeating, the dog will begin to gain excess weight, will become less mobile and, naturally, lazy. In this case, the portion of food is cut, and the duration of the walks increases. If the dog has food left in the bowl, then you need to make the portions smaller.
- A dog needs variety in food. If the animal prefers a certain food, then this does not mean that it is not necessary to introduce new products. In most cases, dogs get bored of the monotony, and this is a great time to try something new.
- It is necessary to withstand the time between walking and feeding. If the dog has a long walk, training , any other physical activity, then she needs to be given food no later than two hours before the event. After actively spending time, you need to wait at least an hour, and then feed, otherwise the dog's health can significantly deteriorate.
How to feed a dog
If we consider the percentage, the diet of a healthy adult dog should look like this:
- from 30 to 50% - meat and offal;
- from 25 to 35% - cereals;
- from 20 to 30% - dairy products;
- from 10 to 15% - vegetables.
An ideal option is food, which consists mainly of meat and dairy products, and cereals and vegetables play an additional role in it. In this case, fish and meat in the diet should be at least 50% (as much as possible), on average 35% of dairy products, 10-15% of cereals and vegetables.
This menu suggests that keeping a dog is expensive and not everyone can afford it. However, when starting a pet, a person should understand that this animal is by no means an herbivore and requires feeding it with meat.
It is considered optional to give the dog milk every day, you can take a break for a day or two. These products can be replaced with poultry, offal, fish.
It is important to observe the following points:
- Do not give dairy products with meat or vegetables in one feeding.
- Dairy products are always given separately.
- The meat can be given alone or mixed with chopped vegetables;
- Meat products can be given to the dog raw or cooked.
- Vegetable oil and finely chopped fresh herbs can be added to the meat.
Perhaps you will find useful articles:
In what form is it better to give meat
There are two opposing opinions about raw meat - some experts argue that it is impossible to give it to a pet in this way, while others, on the contrary, believe that raw meat is a natural food for predators.
There is some truth in both cases - raw meat is perfectly digested by the digestive system of the dog, but are pet owners always sure that it is not infected with any microorganisms? If products are bought in specialized stores and undergo special checks, then it is quite possible to treat them to a four-legged friend.
The meat must be deep-frozen for two to three days, then thawed, and only then give it to the dog for food. If you do not have time to freeze, you can cook the meat until half-ready in water or together with cereals.
When calculating the amount of meat, one should proceed from the following proportions - 20 grams of food per kilogram of pet weight. For example, an adult dog spaniel breed should eat an average of a quarter kilogram of meat per day, while a German or East European shepherd needs 700-800 grams. Of course, these are average figures, and each owner must calculate the norms individually.
Which meat is better to choose
Among the main types, low-fat beef predominates. Then come the meat of rabbit, lamb, horse meat. These foods are low in fat and high in calories. It is not recommended to give the meat minced meat and pork.
By-products of the liver, liver, heart, lung, stomach, kidneys, etc. are perfect for feeding a dog. But then it is necessary to increase their number by about a third in order to justify the meat consumed per day.
Poultry meat (chicken, quail, turkey) and their offal (hearts, stomachs, necks, liver, etc.) can be given to dogs, but only if they do not have digestive problems. However, it is impossible to completely replace meat with offal.
In what form to give a dog a fish
It is not forbidden to feed the dog with fish, only the norm of the product should be doubled and it is recommended to give it no more than twice a week. It is quite common that pets refuse fish. In this case, it can simply be removed from the diet without any consequences. You can also constantly change the types of fish and it may be possible to find one that will appeal to your favorite.
It is permissible to give marine fish species raw, but if there is some doubt, then you can freeze it for two to three days. As for the river, it requires mandatory freezing or heat treatment. No matter what the fish, you will have to tinker with it pretty much, because before you give it to the dog you need to remove all the bones from it.
From cheap and few problematic options, you can choose the gobies. If they like the pet, then you can simply boil them well and do not touch the bones.
Dog Dairy Products
Very often, dog owners are at a crossroads, since there is a lot of conflicting information about what can be given to dogs from dairy products and what cannot.
If the pet has a weak digestive system, it is best to abandon fatty foods in favor of those whose fat content does not exceed 5%.
As for low-fat dairy products, this is not the best option for a dog.
Among the most suitable products are the following:
- yogurts (sugar free and various additives);
- cottage cheese.
Adult dogs are not recommended to give milk for food. As additives to dairy products, honey is excellent (0.5 teaspoon per serving), cottage cheese can be enriched with calcium chloride.
Groats for dogs
It is better to boil cereals based on vegetable or meat broth. You can cook meat and offal in the croup itself. Do not give the dog legumes (peas, beans, lentils), corn, barley, semolina. Buckwheat, hercules, rice, wheat and barley groats are well suited.
Observing certain rules and recommendations of experts on feeding your beloved pet, you can be sure of its normal development and absolute health!