Each pet needs the care and attention of its owner, and dogs are no exception. But since animals do not know how to talk, they are therefore trying to attract attention by all means available to them. Sometimes these methods become extremely negative. To understand the logic of the pet’s behavior, you should carefully study the 7 signs of loneliness syndrome in dogs, which are considered to be the main ones.
The loneliness syndrome is considered to be the reaction of dogs to prolonged isolation from their owner. Moreover, each dog perceives this duration in his own way. For some - this is the absence of a person for several days, and for others - the inability to stay in one even for several hours.
It is scientifically proven that about 15% of four-legged friends of a person are affected by this syndrome to one degree or another. In some, it manifests itself very weakly, so the owners may not attach importance to small oddities in the dog’s behavior for a very long time. However, if measures are not taken in time, then the disease (and the syndrome is considered to be a disease) can develop into a more severe form. Then without a long treatment can not do. To avoid this, you should carefully monitor the behavior of the animal.
Very often, the behavior of the pet can tell the owner about problems with his mental state. You should start to worry if the dog has at least one of the seven symptoms listed:
- Howl . The main sign that the animal is not all right. If the dog is not sick and fed, then he does not have enough attention. However, the howl itself is not a direct symptom of homesickness. Perhaps he is lonely or scared to be alone in the apartment, or maybe he is just looking for a mate. This problem is easily solved, it is enough to make the dog a "friend", not necessarily another dog, the cat is quite suitable. The main thing is that the pet does not feel abandoned.
- Destructive behavior . Often, dog owners are faced with such a problem as tattered furniture, bitten shoes, etc. Moreover, the dog does this only in the absence of a person. If the rest of the time he behaves pretty well, then this is a warning sign. When there is no owner, the four-legged friend is uncomfortable or even depressed, therefore, he tries to get rid of this condition by any means. The removal of their negative emotions on inanimate objects is a fairly common manifestation of this syndrome. But here it is worth considering the age of the dog. If this is a young dog, then maybe he is just playing.
- Feces in the apartment . Even if before leaving the pet alone, he was taken for a walk where he did his work, the dog all the time left “surprises” to his owners, then it is worth taking a closer look, and whether he does it intentionally. Often this can be a sign of the syndrome. But you should not sound the alarm right away. To begin with, you should take the fourth friend to the veterinarian, perhaps he just has health problems. Otherwise, it may be a mental reaction to loneliness.
- Frequent licking . Hair care is a natural process for all animals. But if the dog does this all the time, then it is worth checking its coat for fleas, and also to exclude all skin diseases. If the dog is healthy, then this is a sure sign of depression.
- Loss of appetite . Refusal to eat can also be a sign of loneliness syndrome. But then again, if all other factors are excluded. In such a situation, a four-legged pet cannot be forced to eat even the most favorite treat. Special toys for dogs can partially help here, which temporarily distract the furry friend from his emotions.
- The joy of meeting . Dogs are pack animals, so it is not surprising that they show joy in meeting their master. For them, man is the leader of the pack, so they are glad for his appearance. However, if such behavior is characteristic even after a brief absence of the owner, then this is an alarming symptom. With his behavior, the dog, as it were, wants to say that he is afraid to be left alone even for two minutes.
- Trembling . If a dog's body begins to tremble when he meets a person, then this may mean that the dog is not coping with its emotions. He snuggles up to the owner, tries to shove his head in his armpit. Such behavior can be regarded as a sign of complete trust. However, if the dog has trembling in the body, then this is a symptom of depression caused by loneliness. Especially if the dog everywhere follows his master, trying not to lose sight of him for a minute.
See also: Worthy of the queen herself! Rating of the most expensive dog breeds
If a dog has at least one of the listed symptoms, then it is worth paying more attention to it. But if there are two or more such signs, then this is an alarming symptom, you should immediately consult a specialist to develop a therapeutic technique.
Behavioral and drug treatment
If the manifestation of the symptom of loneliness in a dog does not translate into aggression, then you can adjust its behavior using training. For their development, it is better to consult a specialist, but you can also apply some methods yourself:
- conditional signals;
- special toys;
- restriction of physical contact.
A conditional signal for a dog can be any action of a person that he will regularly repeat before leaving, for example, shoe shine. This will subconsciously adjust the psyche of the pet and the care of the owner will not be perceived as severe stress.
It will be useful to leave your favorite animal toys in a conspicuous place, they will also temporarily distract the four-legged friend.
If the syndrome manifests itself in the form of aggression, then it is better to consult a specialist to correct the behavior of the animal. In complex cases, medication can help. To do this, show the pet to the veterinarian who will prescribe a course of special drugs.
It should be remembered that only the attentive attitude of the owner to his four-legged friend can help him cope with any problems.