A poodle is a breed of dog that has gained popularity all over the world, and this is a very understandable phenomenon. These curly-haired cuties have high intelligence, hypoallergenic hair, they are unpretentious and understanding. In addition, there are several varieties of poodles - from the tiniest toy to the very large royal, so the owners can choose a four-legged friend of the right size. But there is one nuance that future owners would like to know in advance - these curly doggies are prone to food allergies, so feeding a poodle puppy and an adult dog deserves special attention. With proper nutrition, a curly-legged four-legged friend will be a healthy, active and cheerful doggie throughout his life.
Food types suitable for feeding the poodle
When babies are born, they feed on the milk of a bitch and from it receive everything they need, including immunity. But when the offspring grows up, a person needs to decide how to feed the growing puppies. Later, the new pet owners face the same dilemma. What type of feeding is the best for poodle dogs, and what aspects should be relied on when choosing it?
- Feeding with natural products . If you make the right menu, then you can easily feed a puppy and then an adult dog with such food. Since the risks of developing allergies are high, the diet should not be varied, new products should be introduced carefully. But a prerequisite is balance, food should contain all the nutrients and elements in the right proportion. Experienced owners practice feeding the poodle with meat porridge, which is prepared for future use and frozen. This helps save cooking time.
- Dry industrial rations . Most owners and breeders of dogs are inclined in favor of this option, since feeding with dry granules has a number of advantages: it does not require time for cooking, selection of ingredients, it is perfectly stored and easily dosed. In addition, high-quality feeds contain all the necessary vitamins and minerals, and formulas are developed taking into account the needs of dogs of various breeds and sizes. It is important to choose the right menu, and the issue of feeding even a problem pet will be resolved.
- Semi-moist ready-made menus are canned products that are produced in the form of pastes, slices in sauce or pouring. Usually, four-legged friends adore such food, as it has a rich aroma and taste. Only high-quality rations consisting of natural ingredients and not containing flavoring additives are useful. Such feeds are not cheap, so feeding an adult dog is very expensive. Most often, semi-moist food is used as a treat, feeding your pet. They are also fed pets with health problems, babies and older dogs.
- Mixed diet . A diet consisting of ready-made granules can be supplemented with semi-moist diets, but it is recommended to give them separately. But to feed the poodle with dry food, and natural products should not be, even if you alternate different foods. Having chosen one type of food, it is worth sticking to.
Features of feeding puppies of this breed
At each life stage, the puppy has its own nutritional needs, and taking into account the intensive growth of the animal, changes occur literally every month. How to feed a small pet, if the owner prefers feeding natural food?
From birth to 2 months
Up to 4 weeks, it is enough for offspring to receive mother’s milk in order to fully grow and develop. If breastfeeding is impossible, or for one reason or another, milk is not enough for all babies, then the dog owners should buy artificial bitch milk in a veterinary pharmacy and feed them crumbs.
From 4 weeks you can buy special food for puppies, which will allow you to raise healthy dogs. From the same age, babies begin to be interested in the world around them, including the contents of the mother's bowl. Usually, during this period, breeders begin to introduce the first complementary foods - industrial semi-moist food or ground boiled minced meat, it depends on whether the puppies will continue to eat food or regular food.
8-week-old puppies are still interested in mother's milk, but this is more due to habit, and not to the satiety process. In the period from 2 to 3 months, babies go to their owners, and these changes cause stress in the crumbs.
To speed up the process of adapting a pet in a new house and reduce discomfort, owners should find out from the breeder what the puppy was eating and not to change its diet for 1.5-2 weeks.
If a puppy needs to be transferred from one type of feeding to another, then it must be carried out gradually, replacing part of the product with another, first a little bit, constantly increasing the rate of new food. Usually a full transfer occurs after 1-1.5 weeks.
A puppy's diet from 8 to 12 weeks may look like this (a portion is designed for a medium-sized puppy):
- 1st morning feeding (from 6 to 8 in the morning) - 100 g of semi-liquid porridge (prepared from 2-3 tablespoons of cereal). Oatmeal, buckwheat, millet, rice are best suited, but giving puppies to decoy is not recommended;
- 2nd feeding in the morning (at 9-11 am) - 2-4 tablespoons of raw ground beef, it is alternated with fish oil (every other day) - 1/2 tsp;
- daily feeding (from 15.00 to 17.00) - 2-3 tsp of grated vegetables - carrots, pumpkins, zucchini, 50-100 ml of milk, several pieces of fruit or berries - apples, pears, raspberries, etc .;
- 1st evening feeding - pulp from boiled chopped vegetables mixed with raw minced meat;
- the last feeding - crackers soaked in milk (2-4 pieces) or 2-3 tablespoons of calcined curd.
Once a week it is useful to give the baby a boiled egg yolk, it can be added to dishes or diluted with milk. You can introduce your pet to such a delicacy as cartilaginous bones, but they are given no more than once every 5-7 days. Up to three months, the baby is fed 5 times a day.
From 3 months to six months
The diet of the poodle becomes more diverse, new products are introduced into the puppy's menu: beets, garlic, cabbage, chicken, turkey, fresh herbs, offal - the stomachs of the bird. It is worth noting that chicken is quite allergenic, which means that you should be as careful as possible when introducing it.
An approximate pet menu may consist of the following dishes:
- porridge - rice, buckwheat or oatmeal, it can be seasoned with vegetable oil;
- meat and vegetables - the dog is given raw minced meat mixed with boiled vegetables, herbs;
- cottage cheese - it is advisable to cook it yourself and add calcium chloride in the process.
From 3 months old, a doggie is given once a week the egg yolk and cartilage, 1/2 tsp of fish oil daily. From 4 months it is recommended to include a raw egg in the pet's diet once every 7 days. Also give fish oil and bones. From 5 months, eggs and bones are given twice a week.
Such feeding lasts up to six months, and from 6 months the dog’s menu gradually begins to approach the diet of an adult animal. From three months, the puppy is transferred to 4 single feeding, and at 6 months, reduced to 3 times.
From 7 to 12 months
During this period, milk is removed from the dog’s diet, replacing it with fermented milk products. 2-3 times a week, your pet can be given kefir, yogurt, yogurt or fermented baked milk, cottage cheese. But such food should not be oily and contain artificial additives, and also should not be given in the same feeding with meat or vegetables.
The basis of the diet remains meat, but it is not given in the form of minced meat, but in pieces, mixed with vegetables. Periodically, the meat part is replaced with boiled offal - the liver, heart, lungs, spleen, udder, brains. But such food should not appear in the pet's bowl more than 2 times a week. Useful for the digestion of dogs is a raw scar - it is cut into pieces and given to the dog also no more than 1-2 times a week.
Porridge is an important source of fiber, also necessary in the pet’s diet, they are given less cooked than before, seasoned with vegetable oil. For additional goodies, the dog is given crackers, slices of low-fat cheese, and dry cracker. In food, 1/2 tsp of fish oil per day should be added. And if the pet dog does not receive calcified cottage cheese or refuses to eat it, then calcium gluconate is a useful supplement.
From 10 months, miniature poodles are transferred to 2 meals a day, and larger brothers from 12-14 months of age.
From 12 to 18 months
There are no significant changes in the dog’s nutrition during this period, except that the portion size increases. To protect and strengthen the joints, it is recommended 1-2 times a month to give the pet a well-digested broth from pork legs or ears. From a year and a half, you can arrange a four-legged friend fasting days - once a week.
As a treat for a grown-up dog, it is allowed to give walnuts - half a day, if the poodle is mini, dwarf, or a whole representative of larger species. Dried fruits are excellent for the same purpose.
When introducing new food, one should not rush - the puppy is given no more than 1 tsp of the product and is observed for 2-3 days. If there are no signs of allergy - itching, spots, redness, etc., then it can be added to the menu.
Natural feeding of an adult poodle
The diet of an adult dog consists of raw and thermally processed foods. Most often, the owners prepare the dog’s meat porridge, which is supplemented with useful nutrition before serving. The proportions of the diet should be as follows:
- Meat (accounts for 40-45% of all food) - the menu includes chopped beef, veal, poultry. It is given both raw and boiled, in the first case, the product is recommended to be frozen beforehand and scalded with boiling water before serving.
- Offal (they replace meat 2-3 times a week, but they should account for more than 40% of the total daily diet) - everything except the rumen should be boiled.
- Fish (given no more than once every 3-7 days) - you should choose low-fat species of ocean fish, are given cleared of bones, always boiled.
- Dairy products - as already noted, milk is removed from the pet's menu, but the remaining products - fresh, natural, low in fat, are useful for the digestive tract of the dog.
- Cereals (do not exceed 30% of the total volume of food) - in the diet of a dog and add pearl barley as well as puppies do not give semolina.
- Fruits and vegetables (up to 35% of the total diet) - carrots, zucchini, radishes, pumpkins, tomatoes, squash, cauliflower give both raw and boiled. Cabbage is only heat-treated, and potatoes are raw. Slices of unsweetened varieties of apples and pears are great snacks for curly doggie.
Natural feeding of an adult dog also requires additional sources of vitamins and minerals.
Prohibited Products List
Poodle owners need to know which food is not suitable for feeding the dog. There are a lot of similar products, and the likelihood of allergies expands the list even more:
- bones - if the poodle is medium or royal, the ban applies only to the tubular bones, and you can treat the pet with sugar or sponge bone. Toy products and dwarf babies should not be given such products at all;
- honey - although it is rich in various trace elements, it is a highly allergenic product that provokes an acute reaction of the body;
- confectionery - any food containing a large amount of sugar is harmful to dogs, since this ingredient contributes to obesity, disrupts metabolic processes, its frequent consumption leads to decreased vision and otitis media;
- sweeteners - most of them are real poisons for animals;
- sausages, smoked meats - due to the composition rich in various harmful components, such food is harmful to dogs;
- seasonings and spices - often cause allergic manifestations;
- grapes and raisins - cause fermentation in the intestines and intoxication;
- apricot, plum - provoke diarrhea;
- salt - due to the tendency of poodles to urolithiasis, the consumption of this seasoning should be limited.
In addition, food from the master's table or waste from the meal should not fall into the pet's bowl.
Selection of a suitable industrial diet
Manufacturers produce dry feed in five classes:
- super premium;
Economy brands are not suitable for feeding dogs, including poodles. They are made mostly of cereals and meat processing waste, therefore they do not meet the needs of the body of predators, which, in fact, dogs are.
Medium - "drying" a little better quality, but suitable only for young, healthy dogs. Typically, such feed is not too well balanced and does not contain all the necessary elements, so the owner will have to take care of the vitamins for his pet.
Premium and super premium rations are the most suitable poodle products. In the rulers you can find special formulas for pets suffering from allergies, as well as special nutrition for poodles.
Holivics are feeds of the highest class made from ingredients suitable for human nutrition. Such menus are quite expensive, and more often they are prescribed by veterinarians to pets of the sick, weakened and having congenital health problems.
Choosing food of a certain brand, you can consult with the breeder. Usually experienced dog breeders know the breed characteristics of their pets and have already gone through all the stages of trial and error to find the most suitable diet.
It is not recommended to choose hypoallergenic formulas for a dog that has no problems with products. A forced diet can disrupt metabolic processes, the work of the gastrointestinal tract, and “spoil” the stomach.
Canned food is an excellent way out for animals that have problems with the oral cavity, are sick and weak. You can also use them to diversify your pet’s diet. But feeding them a dog is not always recommended.
It is important to focus on the age of the pet, as the formula for puppies is not suitable for adult dogs, and vice versa. Age dogs also require a special menu that contains less fat and protein. In addition, there are special diets for lactating bitches, which provide the body of the animal with everything necessary, and hence the offspring.
A poodle usually becomes not just a pet, a pet, but a companion, friend and even a family member. He finds a common language with all household members and from the very first days he literally falls in love with himself. Naturally, the owners want the pet to be near as long as possible, and good care and good nutrition contribute to this.