German shepherd is one of the most popular breeds in Russia. These dogs are unpretentious, easy to train and can become loyal and faithful helpers. Future owners, before buying an animal, are interested in where it is better to keep a German shepherd: in an apartment or in a private house?
Experienced breeders believe that these dogs have no particular preferences. The main thing to remember is that the conditions of detention vary depending on the chosen living conditions.
Private house maintenance
If the owners decided to keep the German shepherd in a private house, then the puppy must be chosen from those who spent their first days of life in the aviary. Such animals acquire a strong immunity and adapt well to life on the street.
Often a German shepherd is bought for protection. Keep a dog in a fenced area or in an open aviary. Temperature differences do not affect the state of the German shepherd. The pet's coat is covered with oily secretions, which allows it to tolerate severe cold and heat. However, the animal must be provided with a roof over his head, where the shepherd can rest, and also shelter from heavy rain and snow. The owners build a small insulated booth, and sprinkle the floor with sawdust. The dog house is periodically cleaned to avoid infections.
See also: Long-lived dogs: the most famous four-legged long-livers
Several actions will help make the animal happy and healthy:
- Systematically check the shepherd's paws for injuries and cuts: dry grass, debris and stones leave wounds.
- Carefully monitor the appearance of cracks, secretions and crusts on the nose or lips of the animal. If they are present, then the dog is recommended to show the veterinarian.
- Experts do not recommend bathing the shepherd dog living on the street too often - the skin's natural protection is quickly washed off with water, and this reduces immunity.
- Pets living in enclosures receive insufficient motor activity. Their claws do not have time to grind, so the owners periodically cut off the extra length.
- Shedding in a street dog occurs twice a year. At this time, it is necessary to carefully comb the pet's hair.
- It is not recommended to keep the animal on a chain - a lack of physical activity can affect the health of the shepherd.
See also: Little favorites: dog breeds for keeping in the apartment
Keeping a shepherd dog in an apartment
Representatives of this breed are kept not only as a guard, but also as loyal and loyal companions. The German Shepherd dog living in the apartment, owners should pay a lot of attention. Experts recommend adhering to simple rules on keeping an animal:
- The dog should have its own place to sleep. When choosing it, drafts, walkways and batteries should be avoided.
- The litter is selected from an easy-to-clean material and periodically changed. You can put on a pillowcase on it, which is washed as it gets dirty.
- The shepherd is fed strictly from her bowl. The bowl should be in a specific place. You can’t feed from the table with the rest of the dinner - this can badly affect digestion. The dog can also beg for food and even steal.
- During molting, the animal is actively combed to avoid the spread of wool throughout the apartment.
- German shepherds are very active, so they need to be walked at least 3 times a day. The walk should last at least an hour. When the dog returns home, the paws are wiped with a damp cloth and checked for injuries.
See also: Alternatively gifted dog breeds: Rating of the most stupid dogs
General rules for keeping a dog at home
The choice of habitat for the pet remains with its owners. However, there are rules that do not depend on where the pet lives.
- The dog should always have access to clean drinking water. The container is placed next to the food bowl. Water is changed 1-2 times a day.
- The health of the pet must be carefully monitored. Periodically carried out cleaning of ears, eyes, teeth. If there is a suspicion of an animal disease, it will be taken to the veterinarian.
- It is important to train a German shepherd. Representatives of this breed are easily trained, so it will not be difficult for the owners to teach the pet several basic teams.
- Timely vaccinations will help maintain the health of the animal.
Dogs cannot live a full life without human help. Proper care of a German shepherd will help to grow a faithful companion, reliable defender and good friend from it. Owners, whose pets are surrounded by love and attention, understand that the dog will answer them the same.