In the 21st century, you will not surprise anyone with a thoroughbred pet - now everything that is unique and extravagant is valued. The trend is wild cats and their hybrids with an exotic appearance and the soul of homemade murka. One of these breeds is Caracat, the rarest and most expensive cat in the world.
History of breed origin
The first representative of the hybrid breed Caracat appeared as a result of an accidental love affair of an ordinary murka and caracal - a wild inhabitant of the steppes. This meeting took place at the Moscow Zoo in the 90s of the XX century. Two months later, a charming little boy with tassels on his ears was born. The general public soon learned about the precedent, but no one began to engage in the breeding of a new breed.
Caraquets inherited their exotic appearance from their caracal father
The story continued in the first decade of the 21st century in the United States. The greatest success was achieved by Joy Geisinger, crossing a male caracal with a domestic cat of the Abyssinian breed. The efforts of the breeder were evaluated by the international felinological organization TICA, however, after her death, breeding was suspended.
A little later, scientific research was resumed already in Russia: Irina Nazarova, a felinologist and owner of the Krasnodar kennel KATALEYA, was closely engaged in breeding of carriages and in 2018 she received the third generation of kittens.
Today, the breed is recognized only by the International Cat Union (ICU). However, breeding work is still ongoing, because the infertility of male hybrids up to the fourth generation remains a significant and unresolved problem.
Sometimes on the Internet there is information that TICA (International Cat Association) recognizes karakets as an experimental breed, but there is no such information on the official website of the feline organization.
The appearance of the caracat
According to the international ICU standard, a carriage must have:
- strong, flexible and muscular body, reaching 1 meter from the nose to the tip of the tail;
- weighing from 10 to 15 kg and growing to 50 cm at the withers;
- high, strong and proportional paws with dark pads;
- a tail of medium length, wide at the base and gradually tapering to a rounded tip with darkening;
- fat fold in the groin;
- long and strong neck;
- wedge-shaped head with smooth transitions;
- convex forehead;
- wide chin without protrusions and bevels;
- large, pointed, high-set ears, externally covered with short black hair, inside decorated with white brushes, and at the tips - tassels;
- a wide and convex nose of a dark color (the pink middle is also acceptable);
- large amber or green eyes of an almond-shaped shape, circled by a dark line against the background of bright "glasses";
- dark marks over the eyebrows, on the cheekbones, pads of vibrissa and black "tears" coming from the inner corners of the eyes;
- short, thick and soft wool of medium length with a ticking - lighter at the base and dark at the tips;
The belly, chest and inner side of the paws of the lighter with spots are lighter, white coat should be only around the eyes and on the chin
- one of four types of color:
- wild - with black marks on a red-brown background;
- chocolate with brown spots;
- cinnamon - red-brown marks on a peach background;
- silver - resembling the color of a snow leopard.
The most striking similarities with caracal are the first generation caraquets (F1). They inherit 50% of the father’s genes. Subsequent individuals more and more adopt maternal traits and even decrease in size, but the color of the coat and tassels on the ears remain their unchanged attributes.
Despite the wild blood flowing in their veins, the karakety have a fairly flexible, balanced and affectionate disposition, although they are not without some independence. They are very curious, energetic, love outdoor games, show a pronounced hunting instinct, prefer to lead a nocturnal lifestyle, but can adapt to the regime of family members.
They don’t like loneliness - they need society, but they can easily change their environment - traveling in a car, walking in nature, moving - easily. An exotic pet will have the warmest relationship with the owner. Like a devoted dog, he will accompany him everywhere and participate in household chores. The caraquet shows its love by massaging the owner with its paws, licking it, butting, “tweeting” in response.
Kittens-caraquets adopt behavior and communication skills from mother - domestic cat
For small children, such a beast is not at all dangerous, he does not have a tendency to aggression. However, if his patience is too persistently tested, then, like any cat, he is able to use his claws. The stranger perceives the strangers cautiously, may even hiss, protecting their possessions.
Domestic “lynxes” are distinguished by a sharp mind, they lend themselves well to training - they like to wear different objects in their teeth, easily remember their nickname and respond to it. In everyday life, with proper upbringing, there will be no problems with this cat: she will not ruin and ruin her property and will quickly understand what a tray and a clawclaw are for.
Due to the youth of the breed, it is too early to talk about any genetic diseases inherent in it. It is believed that the caraquets inherited from their wild father excellent immunity and excellent health. Over 10 years of work on the breed, not a single case of infectious infection of carriages was detected, but it is better to play it safe and annually give your pet the necessary vaccinations against:
Once every three months and before vaccination, it is imperative to carry out deworming, selecting a dose of the drug depending on the weight of the animal
How long the age of the caracats is long is unknown, but their father, the caracal, lives at home until an average of 18 years.
Optimal conditions for accommodation karakety
Despite the wild roots, carriages can be kept in a city apartment. However, a large, active, jumping (up to three meters high) cat needs space, so a country house will be an ideal option for such a pet. Caraket will be grateful to the owners if they:
- supply him with toys - for this, traditional mice, teasers, tweeters, as well as rubber balls, rings and dumbbells for dogs are suitable;
The most important criterion when choosing a toy is safety: fragile materials, small parts and feathers that the carriage can swallow should be avoided
- equip a sustainable sports complex with tunnels, slides, multi-level platforms;
- organize a "nest" for resting on a dais;
- place a spacious tray in a secluded place, away from the bed and food bowls;
It is preferable to choose a wood or paper filler for the toilet - it will not harm the pet, even if he decides to taste it.
- allow walks in the fresh air.
If the pet is regularly on the street, then processing from ticks and fleas will not hurt - special collars, sprays and drops on the withers will help.
It is necessary to walk the carriage even on the territory of the house on a harness, otherwise it can play too much, jump over the fence and run away
Having brought a small carriage into the house, limit the geography of its movements to one room. Place a bowl, tray, stove bench and toys within walking distance, play more with the kitten, do not make sudden movements and do not make noise - all this will help him adapt to a new place faster.
In a week the kitten will fully master in the new family
Feeding the caracats is better with natural food. The diet should include:
- raw meat:
- low-fat fish (once a week);
- dairy products;
- vitamin-mineral complexes (during the growth period - with calcium and phosphorus);
- a large amount of filtered or bottled water.
It is forbidden to treat karakat with pork, thermally processed foods, smoked meats, sweets and any other food from the host table. Despite the naturally strong digestive system, adapted for the digestion of skins and bones, improper nutrition can seriously undermine the health of the pet.
Kittens are fed minced meat warmed to room temperature, giving it three times a day. From five months old, meat cut into pieces is introduced into the diet of small predators. By this age, the young Caracat is able to "persuade" three quails per day. Adult animals are fed 1-2 times a day, after a meal removing residues. The required daily feed amount is 5–10% of the pet’s body weight.
Video: three-month caracat absorbs raw meat
Adult karakata can be transferred to industrial grain-free super-premium feeds and holistic:
- Acana (Canada);
- Carnilove (Czech Republic);
- Go Natural (Canada);
- Grandorf (Belgium, France);
- Farmina N&D (Italy, Serbia).
In the wild, in search of a source of water, caracals may not drink for 3-5 days, and they are not always able to eat. The fat fold on the stomach helps to survive a forced hunger strike - it stores nutrient reserves. Caraquets also have such a reserve, however, when switching to dry food, make sure that clean water is always in the public domain.
In care, the caracat is no different from the usual shorthair cat.
A hypoallergenic, odorless coat is considered a pleasant bonus. However, this statement is very controversial, especially when you consider that allergy is caused by a special protein contained in the saliva, secretions and particles of the animal’s skin.
Maintaining a presentable appearance of a fur coat is easy:
- once a week to remove dead hair, it is recommended to comb the pet with a rubber mitt, and in summer - during the molting period - the procedure should be carried out daily;
- you should bathe the cat once every three months or if necessary - the procedure will not cause problems, because the caraquets really like water and turn it into a game object, but make sure that the water does not get into your ears; The following shampoos for shorthair cats are suitable:
- VEDA "Fitoelita";
- Dr. ZOO;
- Ms. Kiss Graceful Panther;
- Cliny “Nutrition and Shine”;
- Avz Elite Professional;
- Rolf Club Keratin + Shiny;
- Iv San Bernard Traditional Line.
Photogallery: care products for Karakat hair
- Shampoo VEDA "Fitoelita" created on the basis of a decoction of nettle leaves
- Shampoo "Doctor ZOO" with keratin and provitamin B5 improves metabolic processes in the skin
- Shampoo "BioVax" contains natural ingredients - extracts of wild rose, hypericum and tea tree oil
- Shampoo Conditioner Ms. Kiss "Elegant Panther" effectively nourishes and soothes the skin, strengthens hair follicles and restores the structure of hairs
- Cliny Shampoo Conditioner “Nutrition and Shine” contains mink and grape seed oil, so it nourishes, restores hairs and gives them shine
- Thanks to natural ingredients AVZ Elite Professional shampoo effectively restores the hair structure
- Shampoo Rolf Club Keratin + Shiny contains a keratin complex that gives the hair elasticity, shine and volume
- Shampoo for dogs and cats Iv San Bernard Traditional Line with a lemon aroma moisturizes the skin and prevents the formation of dandruff
The carriage must be provided with a strong claw point, for example, from sisal - coarse natural fiber, which is durable and harmless. With shaky corrugated gadgets, large and strong cats are quick to get rid of. In addition to this, once every two weeks, it is necessary to shorten the claws of the pets, for example, using a claw cutter secateurs with a protective limiter.
You need to cut the claws at an angle of 45 °, retreating 2 mm from the pulp, rich in blood vessels
Some owners remove their claws to cats, but this is inhumane and tantamount to amputating the upper phalanges of the fingers with the nails. In fact, the animal will become disabled: it will not be able to hunt, climb to heights, jump, maintain balance, it will become awkward and defenseless, which will negatively affect its psychological state.
The claws of the carriage are retracted, and with proper upbringing, the animal will not spoil the furniture and scratch during games
Many owners buy anti-scratches for their pets - a new-fashioned accessory that protects furniture and hands from damage. The material of the caps and the medical glue by which they are attached are completely safe for the animal, but not everything is so rosy:
- anti-scratches can cause discomfort - the cat will not be able to cling to its claws if it decides to climb to a height, and this is traumatic;
- the gait of the pet can change, because the claws will always be released;
- deformation of the claws and the occurrence of inflammatory processes are not excluded.
The ears of the caracat must be examined once every half a month. The process will not take much time:
- with the animal you need to play or calm by stroking;
- fix it and twist the ear;
- hold with a dry cotton pad, removing dry dust - movements are made outward;
- repeat the procedure with a clean cotton swab dipped in warm boiled water.
You can’t clean the ear canals with cotton buds - you can damage the eardrum. In the presence of discharge, plaque, an unpleasant odor, it is necessary to consult a veterinarian.
Wipe the eyelids of a caraquet with a soft cloth dipped in strong tea leaves, infusion of chamomile or warm boiled water. Movements are carried out from the outer corner of the closed eye to the inner. Excess fluid is blotted dry.
It is impossible to touch the eyeball of the animal - the delicate cornea is easily damaged. The presence of purulent discharge should alert and become a reason for contacting a veterinary clinic.
Caracas using raw meat or dry food do not need to brush their teeth. Their tartar does not have time to form due to natural cleansing and massage of the gums.
Video: Interview with a Caracat Breeder
Features of mating and breeding of a carriage
The main difficulty in breeding karakety is the sexual impotence of males up to the fourth generation. Only females take part in the procreation. As partners for them, males of other breeds are selected:
- Egyptian Mau.
Knit caraquets optimally at the age of one and a half years and on the 3rd – 6th day of estrus. Both partners must:
- look healthy and well-groomed;
- have the necessary documents - a veterinary passport, family tree, club card, score cards from exhibitions;
- pass a veterinary examination;
- be vaccinated no more than a year and at least one month ago;
- undergo treatment from parasites a week before the intended event;
- have a fresh manicure so as not to injure each other in the heat of passion.
Before mating, a contract is drawn up, which indicates all the conditions, data on the producers, their owners and the date of the event. A “wedding” is organized on the territory of the groom, and in order for the bride’s adaptation to go smoothly, you need to bring her personal belongings (bowl, tray, stove bench) with you. In a new place, the cat spends several days - as soon as the partner does his job, he will lose interest in her, because the female will lose the characteristic smell. Pregnancy will last from 65 to 79 days, and there will be 1-2 kittens in the litter.
Without prejudice to health, a cat can give birth once a year - she needs time to recover
It is not worth the amateur to engage in breeding an experimental breed of karaket - the help of a specialist in the nursery where the animal was purchased is needed.
Castration of Caracats
If your plans do not include obtaining offspring, your pet needs to be neutered or sterilized, otherwise it will mark the territory, behave nervously, and in the future it can become seriously ill. As a rule, the operation is well tolerated, and after a week the animal forgets about what happened. Suitable time for genital surgery is 8–11 months. The process of preparation and rehabilitation proceeds as follows:
- 30 days before the operation (no more than one year), the animal must be vaccinated, and two weeks later it must be treated for parasites;
- within a period of twelve hours before surgery, a hungry diet and plenty of water are needed;
- immediately after the operation, you need to provide the pet peace by laying it on the litter located on the floor;
- it is important to put on an Elizabethan collar or blanket (for 10 days) so that there is no risk of infection of the joints as a result of licking;
- you need to regularly treat the wound with Chlorhexidine and give painkillers (only on the recommendation of a veterinarian);
- in the early days you should not load the digestive tract of the caracat, therefore, raw meat is best given in the form of minced meat.
Young individuals acquired in a nursery not for breeding will already be neutered by the breeder.
Choosing a kitten and its cost
A thoroughbred kitten should be purchased only from a trusted breeder. Here are the signs of a reliable nursery:
- he is registered in a large international felinological system;
- the breeder has a veterinary education or certificate of completion of felinological courses;
- the nursery is in a club that can recommend it;
- he has his own website providing contact information, as well as information about animal producers, pedigrees, titles, expert ratings from exhibitions, etc .;
- has a good reputation and mostly positive reviews on forums and otzovik sites;
- It is located in a spacious and clean house, equipped with everything necessary for animals to live comfortably: trays, claws, stove benches, high-quality and fresh food, and plenty of clean water.
When the issue of choosing a nursery is resolved, it's time to think about acquiring an exotic friend:
- the kitten must be at least three months old - until this time he needs a cat mom:
- she feeds him with breast milk, thereby forming the baby's immunity;
Half-centimeter tassels on the ears of small caraquets will appear by the month of life
- teaches everything that she knows herself: to wash herself, to go to the tray, to overcome obstacles, to hunt (at least for her own tail);
- a healthy animal and its brethren look well-groomed and well-fed:
- with clean eyes, ears and nose, without secretions and unpleasant odor;
- skin without irritation, rashes and peeling;
- shiny, soft and thick hair without tangles and bald patches;
- a small caracat must be curious, frolic, actively explore the world, adequately perceive people and other animals;
- you also need to get acquainted with the kitten's parents, paying attention to their physical condition, behavior and documents;
- When purchasing a carriage, it is important to get a package of necessary documents:
- veterinary certificate and passport with marks on deworming and vaccination;
- pedigree, if you plan to participate in exhibitions;
- a metric with the name, gender, date of birth of the kitten, data on parents, breeder, etc .;
- CITES certificate - permission to purchase a wild cat hybrid;
- contract of sale;
- acceptance certificate.
Caraket is a difficult breed to breed, which explains its fabulous price - from 500 thousand rubles. up to 3 million rubles. depending on the pedigree and the generation of the hybrid. Currently, work is underway on the following nurseries:
Table: advantages and disadvantages of the Caracat breed
- exotic appearance;
- flexible character;
- high intelligence;
- strong immunity;
- loyalty to water;
- the ability to keep the company company for a walk;
- living with other animals.
- high price;
- food costs;
- difficulties in breeding due to infertility of males of the first generations;
- the need to provide the animal with a spacious territory.
Video: carriage owners about their pets
By the middle of 2018, the third generation of carriages has been received in Russia. In total, there are about eighty individuals in the world. Breeding work continues: the rarest breed has not yet been recognized by most felinological associations, and breeders have yet to solve the problem of infertility of male carriages. However, exotic cats have already managed to win the hearts of cat lovers from around the world with their wild beauty, grace and gentle nature. Only such a luxury is available to few - you have to pay for exclusive.