Celandine is a medicinal plant that is used in folk medicine. About its medicinal properties in the XIII century. wrote in his treatise "The Canon of Medical Science" Avicenna. In the XI century. One of Mena devoted celandine lines in his poem "On the properties of herbs." In veterinary medicine, celandine is not used so widely. It is used only as an external agent. On the basis of celandine, the Ecoprom research and production company has created a line of veterinary medicines for ectoparasites and skin diseases in domestic animals.
Properties and composition of celandine extract
Celandine is a poisonous plant, so it should be used to treat animals very carefully. If celandine juice gets into the dog’s stomach, it can cause intoxication, muscle cramps, burns to the mucous membrane. The juice contains more than 20 alkaloids. The danger to dogs is the alkaloid chelidonin. Its properties are similar to those of morphine and papaverine. In high concentration, it causes seizures and damage to the nervous system. No wonder in English celandine is called Devil's milk - devil's milk. In a therapeutic dose, celandine-based preparations have a number of therapeutic effects.
Antiparasitic and antimycotic properties
In a low concentration, the powder from dry grass of celandine and a decoction of it in veterinary medicine is used as a natural insecticide. Compresses are made from celandine broth in the treatment of dermatoses. Alcoholic tincture of celandine is used in the treatment of scabies, weeping eczema. An ointment from the juice of celandine, wax, lard and decoction of St. John's wort with calendula is applied to the affected area with atopic dermatosis, skin cancer, boils and pyoderma. Alkaloids extracted from celandine extract have:
- homochelidonin and heleretrin - a bacteriostatic effect on Staphylococcus aureus, which in dogs causes pyoderma, purulent postitis and vaginitis.
- sanguinarine - antibacterial effect on Klebsiella pneumonia, Candida fungi, epidermatophytes, dermatomycetes, causing dermatophytosis, herpes virus.
The effect of celandine against fungi can be compared with the action of Nitrofungin and Mycodecidin. If we compare the antimicrobial properties of celandine, then they are not inferior in effectiveness to Levomycetin.
Dogs have liver pathologies caused by mycoses, parasitic infestations (leptospirosis, opisthorchiasis), viruses (infectious hepatitis). When using tincture of celandine, liver cell membranes are stabilized, organ functions are normalized, and the risk of hepatocyte pathology is reduced.
Carotenoids, alkaloids and flavonoids of celandine juice have hepatoprotective properties due to the antioxidant effect on hepatocytes. Celandine has choleretic properties. For the treatment of liver diseases and impaired outflow of bile, galenic preparations produced by various German pharmaceutical companies can be used:
- Ardeycholan N - dragee with celandine;
- Aristochol - drops from celandine, hay, dandelion roots and wormwood;
- Bilisan C3 - tablets, which include celandine, milk thistle, turmeric;
- Bomagall forte S - drops from a mixture of liquid extracts of celandine, shepherd’s bag, milk thistle, echinacea and a mixture of 5 homeopathic remedies;
- Cefachol N - drops from celandine, dandelion, milk thistle;
- Choledoron - drops containing celandine extract and aloe juice, etc.
Therapy of dogs with gastritis, gastric ulcer and duodenal ulcer with celandine drugs is due to the antioxidant effect, which restores the digestive system. For treatment, a decoction, tincture or ready-made galenic preparations are used:
- Сholosom SL - drops from alcohol tinctures of celandine, turmeric, dandelion;
- Esberigal N - dragee with a powder from dry plant materials - celandine, milk thistle, chamomile, Benedictine chickpea;
- Gallopas tabl - / - tropfen - tablets and drops based on celandine;
- Hevert Magen-Galle-Leber-Tee - medicinal tea based on celandine and 9 more medicinal plants (calendula, fennel, wormwood, centaury, chicory, yarrow, thyme, calamus), etc.
The complex composition of the drugs is due to the fact that the plants included in the medicine work as synergists - they strengthen each other's actions and reduce the toxic effects of celandine.
Clinical studies have been conducted on the effects of celandine alcohol tincture and celandine fresh herb extract for treating cancers in dogs. Celandine, due to the presence of alkaloids in it, blocks cell division of malignant neoplasms. Dosage forms from celandine inhibit the growth of cancerous tumors and have a local analgesic effect.
The introduction of dogs tinctures and decoction of celandine in a dosage of 50 or 200 μg of the drug per 1 kg of body weight completely stops the growth of a malignant tumor of the lungs. Sanguinarine extracted from celandine has an effect on animals similar to morphine. On its basis, Sanguirythrin is produced, which treats infectious and fungal diseases.
To treat cancer, the drug Amitozin was created - the active substance of which is the alkaloids of celandine. It is called Ukraine produces an Austrian company. The drug Ukraine is used in the treatment of osteoporosis, hormone replacement therapy, skin cancer.
In veterinary medicine, celandine is not yet used very actively, since only separate studies are conducted to establish the dosage and effectiveness of treatment of pathologies in dogs. Home-made infusions, decoctions, ointments based on celandine can be used to treat dogs only externally, since it is difficult to comply with the dosage and regulate the content of alkaloids in the drug.