No wonder the standard or large poodle is called royal, and the point is not even that he once lived exclusively in the residences of monarchs. This representative of the breed looks very impressive - tall, handsome, with a noble head set, and a beautiful hairstyle gives his appearance a truly luxurious look. Royal Poodle - good as a guard, companion and friend. He is one of the five most intelligent dogs in the world and has unique abilities. What is important for future owners to know about this extraordinary breed of dog?
Scientists were unable to find out for sure when and where this breed of dogs originated. But it is known that dogs, similar to modern poodles, existed even in antiquity. According to one version, the origin occurred in Germany. The theory is associated with the fact that the name of the breed in German sounds like "waterfowl."
However, most researchers are inclined to believe that royal poodles appeared in France, especially since the large poodle is the national breed of the country. For a long time, only families of monarchs could keep curly dogs, for the rest of the people, this was punishable by death. But when the offspring of the royal family fell out of favor, he could also be sentenced to death, along with a four-legged friend.
The breed standard appeared in the 17th century, so it can be argued about the rich history and huge pedigree of this breed. The popularity of kinky dogs around the world has led to the emergence of several varieties that differ in size, and the royal poodle became their ancestor.
Royal Poodle Breed Description
The representative of the breed is a large, noble animal, friendly and positive, the pet always defends the owner and is happy to accompany him everywhere, being a friend and companion. The dog has a harmonious and proportional physique, with a massive, but not heavy body.
The standard permits both a haircut and lacing of the coat, although the latter is almost never used in current practice. The large poodle has a height at the withers of 45-58 cm. Often there are taller individuals, if the poodle is not higher than 62 cm, then it can be admitted to mating. Permission is subject to cancellation if the offspring of a tall poodle does not meet standard requirements.
In accordance with standard data, the thoroughbred purebred representative has the following external features:
- Harmonious head , with a moderately massive occipital protuberance and moderately protruding forehead. The transition from the frontal part to the muzzle is smoothed, the back of the nose is straight, slightly shorter than the cranial region. Cheeks, zygomatic arches are covered with “dry” muscles, they do not distort the general outline of the muzzle.
- The lips are medium in thickness, fit well, the extreme line is completely pigmented. A pinkish spot on the 3rd premolar is not considered a defect.
- The teeth are not large and not small, medium, they are covered with snow-white enamel, set flat, create a dense row with a regular, scissor bite.
- Nose - perfectly developed, enlarged, mobile, completely covered with pigment, black tone and the color of the coat.
- Eyes are small, with an almond-shaped incision, set straight. The iris is colored brown, it can be any in intensity, but dark tones are appreciated above.
- Ears - hang on elastic, soft cartilage to the corners of the lips, fit snugly on the muzzle, the ends with a rounding. When the dog is wary or focusing, a few head forward.
- The body is covered by well-developed muscles, the skin fits tightly without forming folds, the general format is like a rectangle.
- Chest of decent depth, oval, descends to the elbow joints.
- The neck is of medium length, with a graceful bend, passes into a moderately pronounced withers.
- The back is even, creates a straight line, the lumbar belt is slightly convex, the croup is slightly rounded. The line of the abdomen and groin are well toned, emphasizing the elegant silhouette.
- The limbs located under the body are straight, even, have sloping shoulder blades, shoulders and forearms, sheer metacarpals. The femur is well muscled, the knee bends at an angle, the tarsus with the metatarsus is perpendicular. The paws are small in size, oval in shape, the fingers are tightly compressed, connected with the help of membranes.
- The tail is located and carried at a height, stopping or natural length is allowed, there should not be any bends, knots or creases.
Quality of coat and possible colors
There are two forms of royal poodles - trimmed or laced. Species differ in the structure of the coat. In ancient times, poodles with soft fur were laced up - braided curls into thick cords.
But a number of color requirements have not changed since then: they can only be monophonic, the standard allows individuals with white, gray (silver), black, brown (without a red glow) or apricot wool.
All dogs, including large ones, have curly hair, which is usually cut regularly. Moreover, the standard also regulates hairstyles, and the owner of the show pet can not really fantasize. The following forms are allowed to the list of permitted haircuts:
- Lion - the back is cut short enough, the hair remains on the body and head, on the limbs - cuffs;
- English - a haircut similar to a “lion”, only wool remains on its hind legs, they are decorated with balls and constricts;
- Art Nouveau - the coat is preserved on the entire body, with the exception of the muzzle and paws.
The length of the outer hair varies; it can be long, medium, or short.
Characteristics and disposition
Royal Poodle - very affectionate, has a natural aristocracy and sense of humor. It is easy for the dog to adapt to the life rhythm of the owners and comfortably integrate into the existing, established way.
A poodle gets along well with all family members, but for a child it becomes an excellent companion for games and hanging out. He is also able to make contacts with other pets, including cats. Although there are exceptions - there are individuals in whom the hunting instinct is overdeveloped.
If a person leads an active lifestyle, then the poodle will be the perfect pet. The dog will participate in all activities, games, trips and jogging. In addition, you can do almost any dog sport with your pet - freestyle, agility, etc.
A poodle is a holder of a very high IQ, it absorbs various information like a sponge, needs training, new impressions and difficult tasks. The representative of this breed likes to bark, and this can be attributed to the shortcomings. But with proper and timely upbringing, a pet can be weaned from an unreasonable bark.
Raising and training the royal poodle
A dog with high intelligence is able to quickly master the main program, as well as more complex tasks. But her mind can cause problems - the dog is often cunning and stubborn. It is important to gain the trust of your kinky friend, to establish relations with him, which is not difficult in the case of poodles.
The dog will be happy to do anything, just to be near the owner and move. The pet needs enough encouragement - in words, actions, goodies, so that he shows high results during training. If you use the punishment, you can greatly offend the pet. He is sensitive to injustice and should not abuse his trust. If during the lesson the poodle got lousy, then it is enough to make him a severe reprimand.
Patience and a friendly attitude - this is what you need during training to get a well-educated, polite, trained dog. Training of show dogs should be done already from 4 months of age. The pet must learn to take a certain stance and calmly respond to examinations that are conducted by strangers.
How to care for a curly pet?
Curly wool curling with ringlets is a distinctive feature, the pride of representatives of this breed. But she needs special care. Only a suitable haircut is able to add a royal feel to these animals with a beautiful gait and proudly raised head. Well-groomed wool will negate all the natural data of a large poodle. Cut poodles once every 1-1.5 months.
Poods are classified as hypoallergenic, their coat does not fade, dogs do not emit a specific smell. In addition, it is believed that their coat has a number of medicinal properties. Most often, a poodle is combed weekly so as not to disturb the hair structure. Soft, but springy hair does not allow the hair to get tangled up quickly. Use a better suitable brush with natural bristles for combing.
The nails of the pet are trimmed as it grows, the teeth are brushed 2-3 times a week, with a special brush and paste. Ears are inspected regularly if contaminants or excess earwax are detected, they are treated with a moist cotton pad. To use cotton buds for these purposes is not recommended, so as not to damage the eardrum.
Mandatory preventive examinations, adherence to the vaccination schedule, treatment for cutaneous and internal parasites.
Royal poodles have high immunity and good health, but they also have pedigree, for the most part hereditary diseases that occur more often than others. These include:
- hip dysplasia;
- pathology of the intervertebral disc;
- degenerative myelopathy;
- inversion (twisting) of the intestines;
In addition, pets are prone to epilepsy, insulinoma, diabetes mellitus, glaucoma, progressive retinal degeneration, cataracts, von Willebrand syndrome.
Any ear diseases are also dangerous for them, as their complications can lead to deafness. Age dogs often develop urolithiasis and alopecia with profuse hair loss. Also among representatives of the breed, individuals with cryptorchidism are often found.
Feeding and diet
All representatives of the breed are lovers of food, and if the owner is not serious about this issue, the pet will soon gain excess weight. It is important to follow the regime - feed the dog at the same time, do not arrange for him additional snacks and do not give food from his table. In addition, increasing the serving size without any significant reason is not recommended.
With natural feeding, the owner should draw up a balanced menu, the basis of which is lean meat. But in the case of an elderly dog, its amount should not be more than 300 grams per day. The novice owner can be guided by the recommendations of breeders and experienced dog breeders:
- it is possible to give offal to a pet; beef liver is most preferred;
- give fish 2-3 times a week, non-greasy, marine, boiled, peeled from bones;
- porridge is boiled from rice, buckwheat, seasoned with vegetable oil;
- a couple of times a week you can give the dog an apple or carrot, their use will reduce the likelihood of developing tartar, as well as these products are sources of fiber and vitamins;
- vegetables and greens - they are given in raw and boiled form, mixed with meat or cereals.
The puppy should be regularly fed with dairy products - calcined curds, milk. It is advisable for adult dogs to give a sour milk - kefir, yogurt, low-fat cottage cheese, yogurt, but infrequently. When feeding natural food, the dog needs additional vitamin and mineral supplements.
Owners can also feed their pets with ready-made industrial diets, but it is advisable to choose a high-quality product suitable for medium and large breeds, mobile and active. The transition from one type of food to another should be gradual - new food is introduced in small portions, replacing the usual foods.
The royal poodle is beautiful, stately, smart, but not capricious and does not require special conditions of detention. The largest representative of the breed can live both in an apartment and in a private house, it can perform security functions or just be a companion.
But the dog needs long walks, it is recommended to breed the pet three times a day, the minimum duration of the walk is 30 minutes. If in the mornings there is not enough time, then the time of the morning promenade can be reduced by significantly increasing it in the evening.
King Poodle Photo
King Poodle Video
Where to buy a puppy?
A poodle is a breed widespread around the world, it will not be difficult to buy such a pet, even a royal one. But the difficulty lies in the fact that acquiring a puppy without a pedigree is risky, because puppies of all types - mini, one, standard, large - are similar, and even mestizos are difficult to distinguish from purebred babies. Therefore, it is recommended to contact experienced breeders or a nursery to get a thoroughbred large poodle that meets the standard:
- "Atami" (large, miniature and toy poodles) http://www.atami.ru/Dwarf%20poodles.html;
- "Emerey" (large poodles) http://emerei.ru/index.html.
Of course, a pet will cost much less by hand, but no one can give guarantees about its breed or health. For 5000-7000 rubles you can buy a mestizo - the result of mating a large poodle with a representative of another breed.
From 15,000 rubles there are puppies from purebred parents (with or without a pedigree), but more often in this case the sellers do not draw up the pedigree to the babies themselves in order to reduce costs. On average, a puppy with good characteristics costs 20,000-25,000 rubles, the price of a show-class baby from elite parents can reach 60,000 rubles.
A large royal poodle is included in various tops - the most elegant, the most intelligent, hypoallergenic ... And indeed, the dog has a lot of advantages, but it requires attention: walking, regular haircuts, socializing. If the family needs a luxurious four-legged friend and is ready to look after him properly, then you should look at the curly-haired dog.