Stabiho, stabikhon, stabeyhun - these are all the names of the breed of Friesland or Dutch cops, actively used as hunters both in their homeland and in other countries. Although outside the Netherlands about these tireless and able-bodied dogs not so much is known. Once the Stabilons, in addition to hunting functions, performed various chores, today they have not lost their working qualities, but more often act as athletes and excellent companions. What should be known to future owners who want to get a dog of such a rare Dutch breed?
Origin of breed
The history of the breed is associated with the Dutch province of Friesland, where it originated. Even then, these dogs were appreciated for their loyalty, endurance and high ability to work. Dogs for centuries lived side by side with people and helped in various fields: they hunted, guarded the home and family members, acted as draft animals.
There is a lot of evidence that the dogs were outstanding, they were mentioned more than once in various literary works, depicted on canvases. Historians believe that the Stabichons came from the Drentsky patriyshonda and spaniel imported into the Netherlands in the 16-17th centuries.
Mostly working dogs are bred at home, they deviate somewhat from the standards - these are taller and stronger individuals. Stabichon - a unique bloodhound, perfectly taking a blood trail, this cop is not so easy to confuse, she is quite persistent and perfectly portaits. Thanks to the sensitive scent, the dog can look for wounded animals and carefully bring them to the hunter. In addition, from these pets get good watchmen.
Given these qualities, it is surprising that these dogs have so far failed to achieve worldwide popularity. The breed standard in the Netherlands was adopted in 1942.
Description of the Stabichon breed
As already noted, representatives of the breed have a set of working qualities that make them almost universal workers. But, in addition to this, stabichons are suitable as family pets.
The thoroughbred representative is a rather proportionately folded dog of medium size. Growth at the withers varies between 48-53 cm, and weight - 15-20 kg. In accordance with standard data, stabikon has the following appearance characteristics:
- The head is covered with dry muscles, its length significantly exceeds the width, with a domed skull and a moderately pronounced transition from the frontal region to the muzzle. The back of the nose creates a straight line, muzzle and skull of the same length. The nose is dilated, pigmented in black or brown, depending on coat color. Lips of medium thickness, tight fit, no sagging.
- The eyes are small, rounded, in dogs with black hair an iris of dark hazel shade, with brown - light hazel. The look is calm, attentive, friendly for his own, with sparks of fun, the dog looks at strangers with wariness.
- The ears are medium in size, located low. Hang down, fit snugly on the sides of the head. At the base, the auricles are covered with long embellishing hair, closer to the tips they become shorter.
- The case is rectangular, strong, slightly stretched, a shortened round neck, no suspension. Chest of decent width, moderately deep, because of which the front legs are set wider than the hind legs. Ribs are elastic, with good bulge. The back is elongated, straight, passes into a flat croup and moderately tightened abdomen.
- Legs with strong bones, well muscled, with oval, rounded paws, paw pads fleshy, covered with a thick, durable skin.
- The tail is medium in size, reaching hocks in length. In a calm state, it is lowered and hangs down. The end of the tail is bent upward; it has an elongated suspension.
Stabchons move freely, gracefully, they are able to quickly gain speed. From the outside, dogs breathe physical strength, endurance, confidence.
Quality of coat and possible colors
The standard pays a little attention to this breed aspect, the requirements are not very strict. The Dutch gundog has a rather thin spine, however it is very thick, fits snugly to the body, is even, elastic. The second layer is dense, thick, dark in color, has a water-repellent impregnation.
The muzzle is covered with a short coat, on the body it is of medium length, uniform on the entire surface. The standard allows slight awniness of the spine in adults in the region of the croup. Dressing wool on ears and tail must be even.
There are several colors of stabichons, individuals with black, brown and red hair are found. In the latter case, it can be bright red or orange. The coat can be plain or with white spots, the standard also allows mottling and mixing hair of different colors on a white background.
Character and temper
The owners of Dutch cops are unanimous - this is an excellent family dog that finds a common language not only with all households, but also with other pets. The dog has a special relationship with children - they can rush around for hours, play, and teenagers are able to train their four-legged friend.
But there is one caveat: these hunting dogs not only detect and pursue small animals, but also kill them in such a way that the skin remains completely intact - they bite their neck. It is not for nothing that dogs were once specially turned on to kill pests - moles, and the fur could be further processed and used. Naturally, such behavior among the cops is genetically based, and it is rather dangerous for small pets to live side by side with such a hunter.
The dog gets used to people who often come to visit — relatives, friends, neighbors, over time, of course, he will not show violent joy, but friendliness and patience from the pet should not be expected either. But to strangers is wary and suspicious.
Stabichon is a true defender, and this quality applies to all members of the family, as well as to the adjacent territory and adjacent lands. But the dog is smart and not inclined to cross the boundaries of what is permitted.
The pet is very attached to his family, loves to be near the owner or household, but at the same time never loses his vigilance. The minus of the breed - you can’t call the Dutch cops quiet animals in any way - they will bark in any unclear situation, it doesn’t matter if a passerby passed by or a stranger invaded the area entrusted to the dog.
The rest is a pleasant family dog, cute, sociable. She will be happy to accompany the owner - on the hunt, on a jogging trip and just on a walk.
Training and education
Representatives of this breed are very smart and quickly learn even a complex program. But, like most hunting dogs, cops need a firm hand. There are a number of features that should be considered when training the stabichon:
- the owner must be demanding, consistent;
- it is desirable that the upbringing of a pet begins from the very first days of his appearance in the house;
- it will be useful to set a schedule of classes - it is worthwhile to allocate certain days and times for this;
- Stabichon is quite sensitive to unfair treatment and rudeness - having offended a pet undeservedly, the owner will encounter his natural stubbornness.
Even if the owner takes a hunting breed dog for himself, but is not going to use it for its intended purpose, do not ignore the needs of a four-legged friend. It is worth, in addition to training on the site, to take the dog to the forest zone, where he could run without a leash. The dog needs space, and if there is no game, he will gladly bring sticks or balls.
In addition to the main program, stabikon is able to master complex tricks. Dogs of this breed are easily given almost all sports disciplines. The basic skills of the pet can be taught by both a beginner and a teenage child.
Care and health features
Dutch Pointing Dog does not require complicated care and low maintenance. But still it is necessary to carry out standard procedures, this will support the health and excellent appearance of the pet:
- Coat . Stabichons molt twice a year and very abundantly, and during these periods it is necessary to treat the dog with a puffer dog every 1-2 days. To do this, it is advisable to use a special brush suitable for this type of wool. For the rest of the time, one combing out every 5-7 days is enough. Dogs have a special coat and skin, which have their own protective lubricant. Therefore, you can’t bathe a pet often, as this will harm its integument. Usually a dog is washed only if necessary, if it is very dirty.
- The ears . It is recommended to inspect them daily, and do it better after walking, especially if the dog was swimming or hunting. Clean your ears once a week with a cotton pad dipped in boiled water or an antiseptic. If an unpleasant odor comes from the ears or discharge appears, you should contact your veterinarian - most likely, the pet has developed an inflammatory process, often caused by infection. In this case, treatment is required that will help to stop the spread of infection in time and prevent the development of complications.
- The eyes . Pointing dogs have no particular eye problems, but after walking or hunting in the woods, they should be inspected for damage. If they are acidified or dirty, you can rinse them with a weak tea leaves or chamomile tea. Such procedures will not only help cleanse the eyes, but can also prevent the occurrence of severe eye pathologies, often ending in blindness.
- The teeth . Stabichon is a happy owner of snow-white, strong teeth. But so that they remain such, it is worth at least once a week to clean them with a special tool. Such activities should be taught from puppyhood. For prevention, you can give your pet solid food, large bones or treats from the veins.
It is worth taking care of the regular treatment of the pet from external parasites, vaccination and anthelmintic - being hunting dogs, stabikons are at risk for infectious diseases.
The modern representative of the breed is a fairly healthy dog with strong immunity. The average life expectancy of the cops is 13-15 years. Although in the past the Dutch cops had problems with the hip joints, the breeders managed to eliminate this defect as much as possible due to strict selection - the breed club excludes individuals with dysplasia from breeding.
As already noted, the weak point of the stabichons is their long, hanging ears, which are devoid of natural ventilation. Because of this, dogs often develop inflammatory processes.
If the dog does not receive proper care and is poorly fed, then he may develop some diseases of the heart, joints, and gastrointestinal tract. But if the owner takes care of the dog and takes him to the veterinarian every six months, then such diseases can be avoided.
Stabichon is an active, mobile dog that needs a large amount of protein, mainly animal food. With natural feeding, the dog must be given 400-500 g of meat and offal per day. These should be low-fat varieties, fatty mutton and pork are excluded from the menu. But in winter, dogs kept in outdoor conditions can add 20-30 g of animal fats to their food, which will give their pets the opportunity to warm themselves.
Other foods should be present in the dog’s diet: raw and boiled vegetables, cereals seasoned with vegetable oil or cooked in broth, fruits, sour-milk products. A mandatory addition is the introduction of feed in the form of vitamin-mineral complexes.
The owner can also feed the gundog with industrial diets, choosing premium or super premium food suitable for medium-sized dogs with an active lifestyle. With any type of feeding, the dog should be able to drink clean, fresh water in large quantities.
Conditions of detention
Stabichon is a hunter and most often it is used precisely for these purposes; dogs are also acquired as a watchman or companion. This pet is best suited for people with a farm or hunting. In these cases, the dog will have the opportunity to spend a lot of time in the fresh air, move freely and do what he loves.
Experts say that stabikons are not suitable for living in apartment conditions, but urbanization also affected these dogs. Increasingly, they are turned on as family pets. Then the owner will have to take special care of the pet’s coat, put up with its strong molts. In addition, it will be necessary to provide his leisure time - you will often have to walk with a gundog for a long time, play, practice on the court.
Video about stabikon
Stabichons are rare guests in Russia, so buying a puppy of this breed is not so simple. You may need to contact foreign breeders. Most of the nurseries involved in the breeding of these cops is located in the homeland of the breed - in Holland.
The advantage of such an acquisition is that you can get a high-class pet that meets all the requirements of the standard. If you need a dog as an assistant for hunting, then you should get a baby from working parents.
In no case should you buy a puppy from the hands of dubious individuals, as it is highly likely to acquire not just a “half-breed", but a dog with genetic abnormalities and hereditary diseases. The cost of puppies of this breed is quite high, on average it varies from 45,000 to 55,000 rubles.
Stabihon is an excellent representative of its kind. Nature generously endowed him with intelligence, appearance, physical data and hunting instincts. Therefore, he needs a host who will help the pet to reach its full potential and show its unique abilities in business.