Due to overheating of the body in dogs, hyperthermia begins. This pathology is characterized by a disorder of the central nervous system and impaired function of the heart, kidneys, and liver. Pets with a rich coat are exposed to heat shock, but dogs of any breed can actually overheat. Owners in hot weather should protect the animal in every possible way from excessive increase in body temperature - for example, lay a cooling mat for the dog, which, incidentally, is easy to do with your own hands.
What is a cooling mat for dogs
The normal body temperature of dogs is 37.5–39.0 ° C. If the indicator exceeds 40.5 ° C, then this will seriously affect the work of the internal organs of the pet (in the first place, the heart, kidneys, brain suffer). Hyperthermia can occur due to overheating in the sun or in a locked car.
Lethargy, lack of appetite, panting with wheezing, vomiting, increased salivation are symptoms of a dog’s overheating
To prevent dogs from having hyperthermia, in the heat they can lay a special mat with a cooling effect. The principle of operation is based on the fact that such bedding retains cold for a long time and slowly heats up from the ambient air or body heat of the dog.
Ready-made products are sold in stores. For instance:
- PET COOL MAT. It is a mattress rubberized on one side and having a soft fabric base on the other. Inside is a liquid refrigerant. If the product simply lies in a room or on the street, it will be 5-7 degrees cooler than the surrounding air. If you first put PET COOL MAT for 10 minutes in the refrigerator, then it will be 8–12 degrees cooler for 2–3 hours.
PET COOL MAT keeps you cool for hours
- Osso is a thin rug that folds easily. It is convenient to take with you on the road. It does not have any helium impregnation, it acts only due to a fabric with low thermal conductivity (that is, it slowly heats up). The mat should first be kept in the refrigerator (20-30 minutes), after which it will be cool for a couple of hours.
Osso rugs are made of fabric with the effect of CCT (COOL COMFORT TECHNOLOGY), which keeps the cold up to 2 hours
- Swamp Cooler is a whole series of products for dogs with a cooling effect. This includes not only rugs, but also blankets (vests). The action is based on the special effects of the layers. The outer layer of Wicking fabric reflects heat (it is smooth and slightly cool to the touch). The absorbent middle layer quickly absorbs and holds cold water for a long time, which must be moistened with a mat before use.
To activate the mat, it is necessary to moisten it well with cold water, squeeze it a little and lay in front of the dog (the cooling effect lasts 3-4 hours)
There are cooling mats from 900 to 2500 p. If you do not want to spend money or such products are not sold in the store of your city, then you can make a couch yourself.
How to make a cooling mat yourself
It’s easy to make a simple cooling mat with your own hands, which can then be placed on the floor in a house, a booth, inside a carrying, a car, or taken with you on a picnic or beach. It’s easiest to make such a bed according to this instruction:
- Measure your dog while lying down (add at least 10 cm in width and length).
- Take a dense smooth material (the composition should have a maximum percentage of polyester). Cut two rectangles to measured earlier sizes.
- Cut off the rectangle of any foil insulating material (an ordinary culinary foil or foil isolon is suitable) - this will be the layer of the mat that keeps cool.
- Sew pieces of fabric on both sides, place a layer inside, flatten it and connect the remaining two edges of the fabric.
The cooling mat is ready. Before using it, you need to hold it a little in the refrigerator (but not in the freezer). The litter will be as cool as possible for about 2-3 hours, after which it can be re-cooled. Since there is foil inside, it is impossible to wash and iron the product. To bring the litter in order, it will have to be torn apart from one end, take out the layer, and after putting the thing in order, put it back and sew it up again (for convenience, you can not sew one edge, but make it a zipper, buttons, Velcro).
A home-made cooling mat for dogs will cost 4–5 times cheaper than buying a finished product
Spending time on a cooling mat helps the animal cope with intense heat. This is very important, since overheating threatens the life of the animal. Cool bedding can be used at home or taken with you on the road (to lay the pet in the car, on grass or sand during a picnic, etc.).