Dogs of some breeds require extra care. This is especially true for monitoring the condition of the coat. Therefore, it is important to know how to cut the dog at home and not harm the pet, but be able to save on visits to the groomer.
What dog breeds need a haircut
Most of the breeds need only be washed and combed periodically, while others need regular haircuts.
Breeds such as Yorkshire Terriers, Pekingese, Spitz and Poodles need regular haircuts
Puppies and dogs of exhibition breeds with long hair begin to cut at the age of six months.
For most pets, a visit to the groomer involves combing out dead hair or undercoat and washing with shampoo. This applies to breeds with:
- short hair;
- short hair and undercoat;
- dense undercoat.
For long-haired breeds of dogs with undercoat, visiting the groomer involves a hygienic haircut. It is carried out in certain areas of the animal’s body. This is the muzzle, the area between the fingers, the skin around the anus and genitals, hairs in the ears (can be plucked). Such a haircut involves:
- minimizing the appearance of diseases of the ears and skin;
- improving the orientation of the animal in space;
- avoiding the appearance of tangles that cause skin itching;
- maintaining the health of the coat.
Dogs with a dense undercoat can be cut, but this is not necessary. Typically, this procedure is carried out in the summer, when the animal suffers from heat. But too short haircuts will harm the pet.
For wire-haired dogs, plucking dead hair is a must.
Silky dogs are sheared regularly. In the shortened version, a visit to the groomer is required every 2-3 months. With elongated - once a month and a half.
Terriers differ in different types of wool. If the animal is short-haired, then regular combing is enough. If long, then visit the hairdresser once every 3-4 months.
Breeds of dogs with curly and wavy hair need regular haircuts, as their hairs are quickly confused and prone to the formation of tangles. You need to visit the groomer once a month and a half.
What is better to use
Smooth-haired dogs do not need to be cut. A daily brushing is sufficient for shine and smoothness.
Dog breeds that have a stiff coat need trimming (a clipper is used for some sites). Scissors can only be used for trimming:
- wool on the paws;
For home haircuts you will need the following set of tools:
- brush with large and long teeth;
- scissors (with rounded or even ends);
- hair clipper, which can be used for dogs;
- rubber mat to create a more stable position for the animal.
How to cut a dog at home: step by step instructions
Before the first haircut, you should accustom your pet to the hair dryer, scissors and the sound of the machine
You need to cut the dog in a room that can be easily cleaned, since the wool will fly throughout the house. The bathroom is best suited, because before the procedure, the animal also needs to be washed. Haircut Algorithm:
- The animal is bathed with shampoo and dried.
- Comb and eliminate existing tassels (if you can’t comb them out, you must carefully cut them off). Start to do this from the ends of the coat and advance to the skin.
- A short haircut is done using a machine (so the wool will be the same length).
- Start to remove wool from the muzzle. First, excess hair is cut between the eyes from the outside and inside, then the hair on the ears is trimmed.
- They process the chest, legs, tail, stomach, sides and back.
If the animal is too active during the haircut, then do not insist and bring the procedure to the end at a time. You can do this gradually so as not to cause the pet unnecessary discomfort.
Pet grooming at home is not so difficult. It is important to properly approach the procedure, prepare in advance all the necessary tools and be careful with the animal.