Shampoo for flea kittens is a universal remedy for controlling parasites.
After all, fleas are not only insects that cause discomfort to cats, they are parasites that can transmit viruses that are dangerous to animals and people.
Many do not know that fleas parasitizing on cats are often carriers of worm larvae.
Fleas are carriers of worm larvae
Due to flea bites, cats can develop health problems such as allergies and various skin diseases.
In the event of the appearance of fleas in small kittens, they must be timely rid of parasites.
Otherwise, the presence of fleas can lead to a weakening of the animal's body, anemia, and even death.
Signs of fleas in cats
When fleas appear, characteristic signs appear in cats, indicating the presence of parasites, among which:
- Restless behavior;
- Itching of an animal in places of flea bites, which it constantly scratches (as in the case of an ear mite ) and licks;
- Small wounds, redness and scratches in the combed places;
- Visual observation of fleas.
At later stages, the cat, in addition to constant meowing and itching, has lumps of brown color in the coat.
These are flea feces and dried blood.
It is worth noting that in kittens, the reaction to flea bites is much stronger than in adults.
Their temperature often rises, their appetite disappears and anemia develops.
The main sign of fleas is itching and small wounds.
Contrary to the opinion of many people who have never encountered fleas, these insects parasitize not only on such fluffy breeds as chinchilla , maine coon , Kurilian bobtail , pixie-bean , ragdoll , Norwegian forest cat , Siberian cat , but they also occur in breeds with practically absent wool, for example, in Peterbolds , elves and Don Sphinxes .
Observing one of the signs of a cat having fleas, you need to carefully examine the animal.
The easiest way to do this is by placing it on a white surface and combing the hair with a comb with small teeth.
If there are fleas, the comb will capture them along with the flea feces and fall on a white surface.
In this case, an urgent fight against parasites should be carried out.
From fleas, a characteristic type of feces remains, which indicates the presence of parasites
Types of Flea Control Products
There are several types of tools designed to help get rid of annoying parasites that torment a pet.
Such funds include:
Drops against fleas are the most popular option, which has a relatively long-lasting effect.
The active substances are selamectin, imidacloprid, etofenprox, fipronil, metaflumizone.
Drops are one of the most popular ways to get rid of fleas.
These drops are applied to the withers of the animal - in the neck, or between the shoulder blades, so that it could not reach the place treated with the drug and lick it.
The most popular drop manufacturers include:
- “Bars” is a drug with a safe amount of insecticides for the animal.
- “Hartz” is a drug with the active substance metoprene, which is not suitable for use by kittens under the age of three months.
- Front Line is a drug that protects not only against fleas, but also against worms. It should not be used if the kitten is less than 2 months old.
- Stronghold is a safe drug for kittens who have reached the age of six months.
- “Advantage” - a drug that can be applied to kittens who have reached the age of ten weeks.
- “Biafar” is a drug in which insecticides are replaced with an absolutely safe margose extract. As a result, drops of this manufacturer are suitable not only for all cats, but also for kittens, as well as weakened animals. After consultation with a veterinarian, it is possible to use this remedy for kittens aged 1 month and above.
- Celandine is a drug with active ingredients such as fipronil and permethrin. It is recommended for use by kittens from the age of two months.
Flea sprays are considered the most toxic and most effective means.
That is why, the process of applying the drug to the animal’s hair should be careful.
Since cats often have side effects from sprays, this remedy should be used only in cases of highly infected pets, which are often on the street.
In addition, sprays are not recommended for kittens.
Injection is a drug that is administered to an animal subcutaneously with a syringe.
These drugs are not suitable for sick and pregnant animals, as well as small kittens.
For kittens aged ten to twelve weeks, injections of Ivermek, Kantaren, and Microderm manufacturers are suitable.
Sprays are the most effective remedy for fleas, but they are quite toxic.
This flea remedy is used with drops or shampoos.
The active ingredients in tablets enter the bloodstream and thus kill the blood-sucking fleas.
This tool is mostly preventive, since the collar components repel fleas with their smell.
However, some cats may experience allergic reactions.
In general, flea collars are safe for all mammals except kittens who are not yet three months old.
The most common are the collars of the manufacturers “Tseva”, “Harts”, “Bolfo”, “Bio Band”, “Biafar”.
Flea collars can be worn on three-month-old kittens
The main active ingredient of this anti-flea remedy is propoxur.
Powders should be rubbed against the coat of the animal, combing out the excess.
The most popular is the product manufacturer Zeken und Flopuder.
Flea shampoos have a short action.
After soaping the cat, the drug should be thoroughly washed off the animal’s hair, as the pet receives a dose of the poisonous substance by licking the shampoo.
Some owners apply to folk pets such folk remedies as combing out with a furminator , adding garlic to water, washing the animal’s hair with infusions of herbs, tar soap.
Before using these products, the breeder must first consult a veterinarian.
Before using such folk remedies as tar soap, you need to consult a veterinarian
Flea shampoos have some advantages over many other remedies. These include:
- Ease of use - to achieve the desired effect, the cat just needs to bathe.
- Mild action - shampoos are suitable for small kittens, which are still contraindicated in the use of a drop.
- The increased efficiency and simplicity when applied to cats of long-haired breeds, in comparison with such means as drops or sprays.
- Relatively low toxicity - due to less toxicity than drugs, shampoos are well tolerated by most animals.
The main advantage of shampoos is the use of phenotrin or etofenprox as the main component.
These active ingredients are less toxic than pyrethroids.
Pyrethroids are active substances that are often used in flea medicines.
They are more toxic and have a nerve agent effect on insects.
It is worth considering that there are shampoos containing permethrin.
They are more effective in controlling parasites, but require careful use.
Some manufacturers produce separate lines of shampoos for adult cats and kittens.
The most popular manufacturers of shampoos are the following:
- “Mr.Kiss” - this product has a mild effect, relieves the cat of fleas, and at the same time makes the coat soft and shiny. The price of shampoo from this manufacturer is above average.
- “Api-San” is an inexpensive preparation that can not only clean fleas from the hair, but also relieve it of a specific smell.
- “Bars” - this tool is also quite effective and has no side effects.
- “Beaphar” is a shampoo enriched with citronella, mango and lavender oils. The price of this tool is quite high. Due to its effectiveness, user reviews of this tool are extremely positive. Many characterize it as the best flea shampoo for kittens.
- “Meadow” - this drug kills fleas and cares for hair thanks to components such as extracts from chamomile, calendula, plantain. Especially common among supporters of folk flea control products.
How to wash a kitten with flea shampoo
For breeders who do not know how to wash a kitten, there is a set of rules, observing which, there should be no problems in removing fleas.
For the correct use of shampoo, you should take the kitten with one hand under the stomach, and hold it tight so that the animal does not break out.
Then, you need to lather his hair with flea shampoo, avoiding the head and neck.
After that, in order for the active substances to take effect, the pet should be left soaped for some time.
In order for the shampoo to work, it must be left on the wool for 5-7 minutes
After waiting a few minutes, the shampoo needs to be completely washed off the hair, combed well and dried.
Some owners are wondering - how often can kittens be washed with such means?
Shampoo against fleas can not be used often, since the poisonous substances of the shampoo can accumulate in the kitten's body.
This can cause allergies or poisoning, as well as destroy the protective layer of the coat and the lipid layer of the skin.
The latter will lead to a noticeable dullness of the coat.
If a kitten is poisoned by flea shampoo, it must be taken to a veterinarian immediately.
First, you need to call the veterinary clinic and describe the symptoms and the remedy that caused the poisoning.
Flea kitten shampoo: Useful tips for removing parasites
Shampoo for flea kittens is a universal remedy for controlling parasites. After all, kittens react more sharply than adult cats to flea bites, which are the cause of fever, loss of appetite and anemia. The consequence of this may be a weakening of the animal, anemia and even death.