Cats can be trained much worse than dogs. But this does not mean that it is impossible to teach them any tricks. It just takes more effort and time. If you have enough patience for the long process of training, then the result will not be long in coming.
What do you need to do first?
- Watch your pet. It is necessary to pay attention to what kind of games he prefers. If your pet loves to carry small objects and toys in his teeth, then you can teach him to bring something to you on command. Only this should be his strength, that is, the subject should not be too heavy and large. The cat, most likely, will not be able, like a faithful dog, to bring slippers in your teeth. Lovers of running and jumping can easily be trained in jumping through one or even several rings or hoops. They can also, on command, jump onto small elevations - chairs and bedside tables.
- Make the cat fully trust you. The relationship between the trainer and the animal cannot be tense. If your four-legged friend recently mischievous, and you scolded him for it, he may be offended by you and not contact you. Be sure to restore the relationship before starting training. Otherwise, the cat will not obey you and most likely will go to another room.
- Wait for the pet to take the desired action by itself - hop on a chair or sit down. At this point, you need to quickly pronounce the appropriate command. With repeated repetition of such a situation, the pet will remember what needs to be done and after which words.
- Do not forget about the promotion. After each correctly executed command, you need to give the cat her favorite treat. Weasel can also be an encouragement. When a pet understands what you want from him, he will try to carry out the necessary actions on command to earn your praise or receive a treat.
See also: Cats - the most grateful customers: Cafe for cats in Yekaterinburg
Basic tricks to train your cat
- Team "To me." It is best to teach her before feeding the cat. Call him by name, adding the necessary command to him. Put a treat in a bowl only after the pet comes to you. After he gets used to this situation, you can start training in another room. The treat should be given out immediately after the execution of your order. Treats are recommended to alternate with affection.
- Team "Sit". It is not the easiest for an animal. Most often, cats are stubborn and refuse to perform it. You need to make an order, gently pressing on the back of the pet. After he sits, you need to repeat it and encourage the cat. It is possible that a large number of repetitions of these actions will be required for the pet to begin to sit down on command.
- Team "Give a foot." When the pet is sitting, grab it by one of its front paws and say the necessary words, and then treat it. The trick can be considered completed when the animal, by order, gives the paw to its owner.
- Bring command. For training, use your favorite pet toy. Throw it, wait for the moment when the cat takes it in its mouth to take it somewhere and say: "Bring it." Soon, the pet will begin to bring the toy to you, so that you encourage it. After hard training, he will learn to bring any other items upon hearing the order.
- Jumping through a hoop or ring. Learning will be easy if your four-legged friend loves outdoor games. Place a hoop in front of the cat and call him by name. After the animal comes to you, passing through the shell, say: “Up!” and don’t forget about the reward. If the cat is trying to get around the hoop, put it right in front of it so that it has to go through it. The trick is learned only after long hours of training. Therefore, be patient. But in case of luck, you can teach your pet to jump even through the rings, which are at low altitude.
See also: On the net found the nominee for the award "The Scariest Cat" [Wilfred]
Training should be given several hours a day. But do not be too intrusive, cats are freedom-loving and proud animals. They will not execute your commands if they are not in the mood or are busy at the moment with something else. And, of course, let the pet rest. Severe overwork can cause a cat to have an aversion to training. And then you will not be able to teach her anything.