Vomiting in dogs is by no means a rare occurrence, and there are many reasons for this reaction of the body. Do not panic right away, as the gag reflex is not always indicative of serious problems. What should you pay special attention to and how to behave if the dog has vomited?
Signs before vomiting
Signs of Dog Vomiting
The dog cannot tell about his health, therefore, only by external signs the owner can find out that not everything is in order with the beloved pet. As you know, vomiting is preceded by nausea, and it can affect the dog’s behavior:
- the animal often licks its face;
- refuses food, does not drink water;
- excessive salivation occurs;
- the dog is anxious, constantly randomly moving;
- the pet growls in the stomach and a loud burp is heard.
In addition, often before vomiting, the pet may have a disorder of the stool: both diarrhea and constipation .
Quite often, dog owners confuse two concepts - vomiting and regurgitation, if in the first situation the food comes out as a digested slurry, then in the second it does not have time to go through the processing process.
Causes of Dog Vomiting
Of course, this phenomenon cannot be called pleasant, but it also has its positive aspects. Vomiting is, first of all, the body’s protective mechanism, with the help of which all poisonous, toxic substances and foreign objects come out of it. By cleansing, thus, the body protects itself from the negative effects.
Among the causes of vomiting are the following:
- diseases of an infectious origin;
- intoxication of the body due to the intake of poor-quality food (in this case, animals who can eat something from the bin in the house, on the street near the garbage cans or digging out of the ground most often suffer;
- foreign objects caught in the digestive tract or stuck in the esophagus, pharynx (in this case, the pet can cough for a long time, trying to get rid of the obstructing object);
- ingestion of corrosive, irritating substances, including from poisonous insects;
- the presence of parasitic microorganisms in the dog, for example, worms ;
- intestinal obstruction;
- excessive overeating;
- an allergic reaction of the body;
- overheating of the animal, which provokes heat stroke;
- dogs are very emotional animals, so stress can provoke intestinal cramps and, as a result, vomiting;
- damage to the central nervous system.
Pathological vomiting and its characteristic signs
Vomiting often indicates any disease and in most cases has distinctive characteristics. The main symptoms of vomiting in dogs:
- vomiting of blood can be a symptom of diabetes , oncology, peptic ulcer or stomach bleeding, the blood is bright red or brown, it depends on the duration of bleeding;
- vomiting a few hours after a meal - often occurs against a background of cancer;
- vomiting with bile (yellow), excrement indicates intestinal obstruction, or helminthic invasion (in this case, the animal begins to eat grass at every convenient moment, after which vomiting occurs);
- if vomiting occurs repeatedly, accompanied by diarrhea, a clear ammonia smell emanates from the mouth, then this is a sign of impaired renal function (renal failure) or uremia;
- repeated vomiting can be a sign of inflammation of the pancreas, gall bladder, hepatic colic;
- the dog vomits on an empty stomach or, as soon as she eats, it means that she most likely has gastritis.
See also : sterilization of dogs .
Vomiting with white foam
Often, dog owners are afraid of the appearance of vomit in the pet containing white foam. Is there any cause for concern?
In fact, this phenomenon has an explanation at the physiological level. If vomiting occurs some time after the dog has eaten, then just during this period you have to push food from the stomach further along the gastrointestinal tract. The stomach itself turns out to be empty and its walls, as a protection against corroding by the gastric juice, are covered with a layer of mucus.
The composition of the mucous membrane includes proteins and polysaccharides, which, after ingestion of air, contribute to the formation of structural-cellular masses.
When vomiting a dog with white, frothy secretions, one should not particularly worry, as this phenomenon confirms that the animal does not have any serious ailments. If this happens once, then no treatment will be required. If this is repeated many times, then a trip to the veterinary clinic becomes mandatory.
Vomiting of white foam in a dog occurs on an empty stomach? So, we can talk about a violation of the functions of bile secretion, which normally should enter the large intestine after each meal. In this case, the liver secretes the necessary enzyme fluid during hunger, which is irritating to the intestinal wall. After this, the forced movement of bile into the stomach occurs. Vomiting in the dog is not strong, after it the pet is again ready to eat. This phenomenon is not considered a pathology, and can normally be repeated once every 7 days.
But if vomiting is covered not with white, but with yellow foam, then this is a sign of a serious ailment.
Correct action for dog vomiting
Do all owners know what to do, and even more so, what is better to avoid if the pet has started vomiting? Of course, first of all, there is no need to panic and sensibly assess the situation. Even if medical attention is needed, the owner must observe the following rules:
- The dog that vomits is not to be condemned. Scolding a pet for something that it cannot control does not make sense. After all, this natural process that cleanses the body of harmful effects is necessary for further successful treatment.
- Do not try to stop vomiting.
- Only the owner can assess the situation and find out the cause of this phenomenon. Maybe the dog ate too much food, was poisoned, received a heat stroke and so on - the more accurate the data obtained by the veterinarian, the sooner the effective treatment will be determined.
- The owner of the dog should record the number of vomiting, their consistency, shade, contents, as well as related symptoms - all this is valuable information for diagnosing the disease.
- With vomiting, the body requires maximum cleaning, so the first day you should not feed the pet. If vomiting has passed on the second day, then you can introduce liquid food into the diet without salt and spices.
- The same applies to drinking - you will have to give it up for a day, and in return offer the dog to lick ice cubes. If vomiting is not repeated within two to three hours, then you can give the dog a little low-fat chicken broth.
After the pet can be given food, it is worth taking care of her diet. A turkey breast, chicken, fresh greens are suitable for food. Of cereals, it is better to give preference to brown rice, oatmeal. To feed a dog during this period is required in portions, in small quantities, up to six times a day. Food must be fresh and warm.
If the vomiting process is completed, then on the third day you can enter the usual food into the pet's diet.
Diagnosis and treatment of vomiting in dogs
In the veterinary clinic, a diagnostic study is carried out to treat vomiting in dogs, if it does not stop and is accompanied by alarming symptoms. It includes the following procedures:
- general blood analysis;
- radiography of the abdominal cavity;
- Ultrasound of the peritoneum.
Drug therapy is prescribed according to the clinical picture and consists in eliminating the accompanying signs:
- To eliminate gastrointestinal spasms, No-shpa (Drotaverinum) or Papaverineum is prescribed.
- To eliminate nausea and normalize gastric contractions - Cerucal.
- With increased acidity of the gastric flora and the elimination of irritation, the drug Omez is prescribed.
- If vomiting has led to a risk of dehydration, then two drugs are immediately prescribed dropwise - Glucose and Ringer's infusion solution.
- To remove toxic components from the body of the pet, absorbent agents are prescribed - Smecta, Enterosgel, Polysorb, activated carbon.
- Often prescribed homeopathic veterinary medicine Verokol, used as first aid, until the complete cessation of vomiting.
If a dog lives in the house, then you need to be prepared for the fact that she can get sick. And in some cases, first aid from the host has a decisive effect on the success of the entire treatment. The same applies to vomiting, which can be both natural and pathogenic.