FCI classification: Not recognized, out of classification
Usage: Watchdog, guard dog
Color: Spotted, red - piebald. Spots are always located on white wool.
Sizes: Height - male at least 68 cm., Female at least 65 cm. There is no upper threshold.
Weight: 50 - 90 kg.
Life expectancy: 8 to 15 years.
Moscow Watchdog is a dedicated guard ready to protect the territory entrusted from any encroachment.
This is a very intelligent animal, quickly amenable to training, able to get along with children and other representatives of the animal world.
Read more about how to train a dog at home, the article https://kot-pes.com/dressirovka-sobak-v-domashnix-usloviyax-sekrety-uspexa/
Moscow guard dog - a service animal bred to protect the territory. Representatives of the breed are famous for courage, activity, unpretentiousness.
This is a sensitive animal, mistrustful of strangers, able to quickly learn commands and carry out the orders of the owner. The dog makes contact easily.
After the end of World War II, the USSR needed large dogs that were able to properly serve and protect the territory entrusted from encroachments.
The Ministry of Defense of the USSR issued an order in which it was ordered to restore the number of animals and to breed a new breed that meets the requirements: a large, unpretentious dog, endowed with high mobility and easily amenable to training.
The Central School of Military Dog Breeding, located on the territory of modern Moscow, took up the solution to the problem.
Moscow Watchdog was obtained by crossing 6 breeds
In order to breed an animal that meets the requirements, school workers began to work on crossing breeds in the nursery. Among the ancestors of the Moscow watchdog are present:
The resulting puppies were selected on the exterior. He had to meet the requirements specified in the order.
Then the animal was sent for training. After its completion, the animals were again selected.
Dogs that successfully passed both tests were allowed for further breeding. They were left in the nursery. Animals that failed to pass one or both selections were sent to various services.
Moscow watchdog puppies look very cute
In 1950, an exhibition was held in which the kennel presented 6 puppies of the same litter. Then they acted like mestizos. At the exhibition, the shortcomings of dogs were indicated, which were further taken into account when breeding.
In 1958, the first standard of the breed Moscow Watchdog appeared, which was published. It was a detailed description of the appearance and qualities of the animal.
Its provisions in many respects coincided with modern requirements for representatives of the breed.
The nature of an adult dog depends on its upbringing and on the correctness of breeding.
Despite the fact that there are no official varieties in the breed, the behavior of the animal may vary depending on who his ancestor was - a St. Bernard or a Caucasian shepherd.
If the mestizos of the first prevail in the blood of the parents, then the dog will be more calm, balanced, lazy.
Such an animal protects the territory worse and is characterized by a phlegmatic character. If the ancestors of the dog were mestizos with a predominance of blood of the Caucasian Shepherd, then it will have an explosive character.
The protective qualities of an animal are better developed than that of a representative of a breed with a predominance of Saint Bernard blood. A dog is forever attached to only one owner and serves his life faithfully.
A dog is forever attached to only one owner and serves his life faithfully
Among the qualities inherent in each variety of Moscow guard dogs, we can distinguish:
- Fast learner. Representatives of the breed grab information on the fly.
- Devotion. The dog is ready to carry out any commands of the owner. The animal will faithfully protect him and other family members from enemies.
- Friendliness. Moscow guard dog gets along well with other pets and children. Representatives of the breed are ready for hours to ride the kids on a sled.
- Activity. Despite the outward slowness, which can be seen even in the photo, representatives of the breed like to move a lot.
- Independence. In a difficult situation, the dog is able to quickly make a decision without the help of the owner.
Important! Despite the friendliness, the Moscow guard dog should not be left alone with young children. The dog owner should keep an eye on this. Due to its large size, the pet is able to accidentally harm the child.
Due to excessive independence, representatives of the breed are sometimes stubborn
Guessing the main use of the Moscow watchdog is very simple, based on the name of the breed. This is a great security guard, reliably protecting the territory from strangers.
The breed has received another widespread use. The mixed breeds of St. Bernard and the Caucasian Shepherd Dog are not aggressive, faithfully serve the owner and are easy to learn.
All this allows you to use the Moscow watchdog as a guide dog.
How to choose a dog
Puppies of the Moscow watchdog can not leave anyone indifferent. They resemble bears with sad eyes.
However, in order for the animal to please the owner for many years, the choice of the puppy must be impartial. The future owner should pay attention to:
- Breed standard. Before visiting a nursery or private breeder, you should familiarize yourself with the breed standards in advance. The selected animal must match them.
- Availability of documents. They must be present with the puppy. Documents are confirmation that the animal is purebred and will have all the pedigree qualities and appearance. The price of a representative of the breed will be higher, but so the owner will protect himself from buying a mestizo.
- Appearance. The puppy should be well fed, have a wet nose, clean ears and eyes. He must have a good appetite.
- Pigmentation of wool. The presence of large white spots on the head of the puppy, the absence of dark glasses may indicate a weakness of the nervous system.
- Contact Kids who are good at contact will be suitable for owners looking for a pet to stay in the family. Puppies will perceive the owner and his relatives as members of the pack. If the dog is necessary for protection, then you should choose a baby who is suspicious of new people.
- The nature of the parents. You should not take puppies from a cowardly mother. Kids can inherit this quality from her.
Important! To get an idea of the future exterior of the puppy, you can ask the breeder for a photo of the male who is the father of the litter.
The price of a puppy depends on the availability of documents, achievements and qualities of parents. It can range from 350 to 2500 dollars
Moscow Watchdog was withdrawn for work in the northern regions. For this reason, its representatives have thick hair.
A dog with a beautiful fur coat stands out in the photo, but gives the owners additional trouble.
The dog molts 2 times a year. The process is more active in the spring. During this period, the Moscow watchdog should be combed out with a special furminator , which allows you to quickly remove all the falling out undercoat.
Bathing a Moscow watchdog should not be as often as combing. It is enough to carry out the procedure 3-4 times a year
To accustom a dog to combing follows from childhood. The process will require scallops and brushes designed for animals with long and coarse hair.
You can purchase devices in a specialized store.
During molting, the dog should be combed out every day. When all the fallen undercoat is removed, the frequency of the procedure can be reduced to 1 time per week.
If the dog is not combed, its hair falls into tangles. The pet will look scruffy.
Representatives of the breed need a long walk and physical exertion. An ideal place for a dog to live is a country house where it will have free access to the territory.
If a representative of the breed lives in an apartment, then you need to walk with him at least 2 times a day. The duration of the walk should be at least 1-2 hours.
If you need a dog that is ideal for keeping in an apartment, we recommend reading the article https://kot-pes.com/porody-sobak-dlya-kvartiry-15-luchshix-variantov/
It is not enough just to walk along the street, leading the dog on a harness . Walking must be active.
They should include jogging, training items and games like agility . However, the dog should not be overloaded either.
The skeleton of a representative of the breed up to a year is in the process of growth and strengthening. During this period, the load should be moderate.
When living in an apartment, the Moscow watchdog is more prone to obesity and allergies. For this reason, the owner should carefully monitor the nutrition of the pet.
Read more about dog allergies in the article https://kot-pes.com/allergiya-u-sobak-lechenie-dolzhno-byt-gramotnym/
The dog owner can choose a balanced dry food or natural food for her. When choosing the latter, the ration of the dog should include:
- Lean meat.
Important! Do not forget about vitamins and nutritional supplements. They must also be present in the pet's diet.
Moscow Watchdog should not be given:
- Meat with high fat content;
- Flour products;
- Small bones;
- River fish.
The puppy's diet is different from the diet of an adult dog. Up to 7 months, the amount of food should be 20% of the weight of the animal. You can give a puppy:
- Hard cheese;
Up to 7 months, the puppy should be fed 5-6 times a day.
Giving food to an adult dog is enough 2-3 times a day
Important! When buying a dog, the new owner should ask the breeder about how to feed the puppy. Do not dramatically change the diet. Change will negatively affect digestion.
If the owner gives the dog dry food, then this should be the products of trusted manufacturers. Poor nutrition will adversely affect the dog’s health.
In general, the Moscow watchdog is a healthy dog, however, this breed also has distinctive features that lead to illnesses. First of all, the problem is the size of the dog, more on that later.
Representatives of the breed are large, powerful animals. However, their value negatively affects the condition of the musculoskeletal system.
Moscow watchdogs often suffer from hip dysplasia.
Living in an apartment negatively affects the Moscow watchdog. The breed is not adapted for life in 4 walls and needs constant movement.
Lack of exercise leads to obesity and food allergies.
Vaccinations protect your dog from most diseases. The Moscow Watchdog vaccination is carried out at intervals:
- 1.5 months - the first vaccination. It provides protection against plague, enteritis, hepatitis, adenovirus and leptospirosis.
- 2.5 - 3 months. 2 vaccinations are carried out immediately. Vaccination against plague, enteritis, hepatitis, adenovirus and leptospirosis is repeated. In addition, the puppy is vaccinated against rabies.
- 6 months. Repeat the first vaccination.
- 12 months. Repeat the first vaccination.
After 12 months, vaccination begins once a year. Before going to the veterinarian, it is necessary to carry out a procedure to run the worms. Together with the vaccine, they are able to significantly weaken the body of the animal.
After 12 months, vaccination begins once a year.
The Moscow watchdog can be mated no earlier than the moment when the animal reaches 2 years. The procedure can be carried out during the second or third estrus .
A male can be selected from a photo among private offers. However, it is better to contact the nursery. Workers will be able to choose an animal that meets the requirements of the owner of the bitch.
The price of mating depends on the availability of documents, the correctness of the exterior and the achievements of the future father of offspring
Pregnancy Moscow watchdog lasts from 58 to 70 days and depends on the number of puppies. In one litter there can be from 6 to 14 babies.
During pregnancy, dogs must observe 2 rules:
- It is necessary to take daily walks. Despite the pregnancy, the dog needs stress. Their duration should be at least 1-2 hours. Lack of walks can negatively affect the health of the mother and her future offspring.
- Do not overfeed. Representatives of the breed are prone to obesity. If the dog gains excess weight before childbirth, this can greatly complicate the process.
If the owner adheres to the maintenance rules, the dog will give birth calmly and without complications