Many cat breeders know firsthand what the wolves are. These unpleasant lumps of hair appear in some cats quite quickly. Therefore, it is easier to find out once what to do for their prevention and elimination than to constantly contact veterinarians for cutting the animal.
Causes of the appearance of tangles in cats
The hair of a cat is constantly updated, therefore, the fallen hairs must be removed in a timely manner by combing. If this does not happen, then they become tangled with growing hairs. So there is a thick tangled bundle of wool called Koltun. Most often, these lumps are formed:
- on the tail;
- under the paws;
- behind the ears;
- on the neck.
This problem is mainly typical for long-haired cats. The following breeds suffer the most from mats:
Persian cat - owner of thick wool
Siberian cat hair needs regular brushing
- Maine Coon;
Maine Coon - cat with tassels on the ears and thick long hair
Ragdoll - cat with blue eyes and long hair
- long-haired American curl;
American Curl is Longhair
- longhair british;
A British cat can also have long hair
- Neva Masquerade;
Neva Masquerade cat is famous for its thick long hair.
- Kurilian Bobtail;
Kurilian Bobtail - cat with long hair and short tail
- Norwegian Forest;
The Norwegian Forest Cat has very thick and long fur
Burmese cat - owner of blue eyes and long hair
Somali fluffy cat has a reddish color
- Turkish Angora
Turkish Angora has a very soft and delicate coat.
- turkish van etc.
Turkish van - one of the representatives of long-haired cat breeds
Koltuny can arise not only due to the fact that the cat is rarely combed, their appearance is also provoked by the following reasons:
- improper nutrition, vitamin deficiency, due to which dandruff also appears, which sticks together lumps of wool more strongly;
- frequent bathing - if the animal’s coat is not contaminated, it is recommended to carry out water procedures once every six months or a year, and when this is done more often, cat fur loses its attractiveness;
- improper bathing - to use for bathing a pet you need only funds designed specifically for animals, but if a human remedy is used, the animal’s coat suffers; when a pet categorically refuses water procedures, it is better to use dry shampoo and not injure the cat's psyche;
If the pet does not like to wash, dry shampoo will help to take care of the hair
- getting dirt on the fur that the pet is not able to remove by licking (blood, oil, oil, etc.);
- malfunctions of the body - skin and chronic diseases, impaired metabolism, etc .;
- infection with parasites (lice, etc.).
Occasionally, shorthair cats may also appear mollusks. Usually this is due to the reluctance of the animal to care for itself due to poor health.
What danger lies in tangled wool
Of course, the warlocks do not pose a danger to the life of the animal. Nevertheless, their appearance cannot be ignored for many reasons:
- due to an unaesthetic look - no one will like walking with matted hair;
- in connection with discomfort - the cat is worried, because her skin is tightened under the tassels, which does not allow to move fully, causing pain;
- due to skin damage at the site of uncomfortable hair lumps, for example, because of them, the skin may become too dry, which causes dandruff, or too wet, which causes ulceration and inflammation;
- due to the multiplication of bacteria and fungi in the affected areas of the skin.
The main tool for eliminating warlocks is a warbler, which looks like a normal comb. However, instead of the usual teeth (from 4 to 10), it has sharp blades.
The use of cleft cutter:
- Koltunorez is used when the injured animal hair is disassembled as much as possible by hands, that is, all malleable hairs are pulled from the tang.
- After this, the warlocks are most carefully cut with sharp blades.
Koltuny can be cut with scissors. Just make sure that they are very sharp - a dull product will “chew” the coat of the animal, which will be very painful.
By means of a slitter cutter, lumps of medium size can be combed out, but large ones have to be cut completely.
However, it is easy to injure the pet with scissors, so it’s better to use a clipper for cats with interchangeable nozzles to remove tangles.
Photo gallery: tools for eliminating cat tangles
- The machine will help to clean the cat’s tangles painlessly
- The sharper the cat’s scissors will be, the more painless the clews will be.
- Outwardly, the koltunorez resembles a usual comb
How to remove cat worms
To eliminate the tangles, do the following:
- Ask someone in the household to hold the animal during the procedure, or hold it with one hand.
- Feel the tongue and evaluate how close it is to the cat's skin.
To remove the warlocks, you first need to grope them
- If the lump is loose and not very large, then try combing the hair out of it. If this does not help, then cut the cleaver and try again.
If the tangle is small, then try combing it out gradually.
- When the tackle is running and the hairs are not selected from it, cut this lump or shave it with a machine. You need to cut it in parts and very carefully, substituting a comb or comb between the skin and scissors so that they are as far from the skin as possible and cannot injure it. Start with a small part of the tang and get close to the skin gradually.
When cutting the tangle with scissors, place a comb or comb between them and the hair of the animal
If it is not possible to eliminate the tangles on your own, then seek help from a veterinary clinic.
Video: in the vet clinic a cat is trimmed with clippers
Prevention of the appearance of warlocks
The appearance of warlocks can be prevented. To do this, you need:
- comb the cat once a day or at least once every 2 days for 10 minutes, and you need to do this with different types of combs:
- for undercoat;
- for fluff;
- for the rest of the hair;
- additionally stock up with massage combs that stimulate blood microcirculation in the skin capillaries, which provides nutrition to the roots of the hairs;
- furminator is another good combing device that allows you to easily remove dead hair and fluff;
Using a furminator, you can quickly remove dead hair and fluff from a cat's fur coat
- in hot weather, if possible, the animal should be cut, for which it is better to take him to the hairdresser-veterinarian.
For summer, pets can be cut
The long hair of a cat should be looked after like this:
- during bathing, it is better to use special cat shampoos that make the animal’s coat silky and not prone to tangle, for example, such:
- Perfect Coat 8 in 1;
- shampoo-conditioner for long-haired cats "Luxurious Lioness";
- Herba Vitae for cats of long-haired breeds;
- Biovax shampoo for longhair cats;
- after bathing, the pet needs to be combed and if not afraid, blow dry.
After washing the cat you need to wipe and comb
Photo gallery: shampoos for long-haired cats
- Perfect Coat reduces hair loss
- Shampoo conditioner "Luxurious Lioness" restores the structure of hair and strengthens their roots
- Natural extracts of heather and hawthorn in Biovax shampoo have a healing and tonic effect
- Herba Vitae contains extracts of knotweed and horsetail and has a beneficial effect on the skin and coat
Video: how to comb a cat
Host reviews on combing cat tangs
My cat is also nutty in that sense. So we started it once and had to take it to a veterinary clinic ... there it was shaved baldly, one might say ... under a sedative (as guest 4 said) ... the cat transferred it easily ... I'm talking about a hospital and a sedative. At home, of course, I was nervous the first time: I was fluffy all my life, and then suddenly bald)))) he’s even cold, poor thing ... we bought him a sweater: I didn’t wear a cat, of course. In short, he overgrown quickly, now we scratch it with a special comb once a week. With fights, of course ... but we decided not to run anymore. On the topic: if it is not possible to comb out (remove, trim) the warlocks yourself, take them to the hospital. The presence of shreds of wool on the animal contributes to the reproduction of fleas. And if a bunch of fleas, the animal suffers from skin diseases. Take care of the cleaver) good luck to you.
How would I get such a qualification, I dream. My pussy has a bad character, doesn’t want to comb, she is almost instantly bored, she’s afraid of scissors, so we refine ourselves and gently pull the tongues and scratch the runaway cat on the move, but the sides are partially crooked.
If you cut it yourself, then I bought my spray from the tassels. Well, indeed, those that are close to the skin sheared with manicure scissors - there should be sharp ends. You stick it straight into the cleaver and cut it in one place, then in another. So little by little the whole will be cut off. You pull the collar and cut it almost by a hair next to the skin ... Something like that ...
If the hair of a long-haired cat is not taken care of, then tangles will begin to form on it. You need to try to comb them carefully, and if this does not succeed, remove the lumps of wool that have appeared with the help of a special cutter. This will help to avoid the appearance of microorganisms on the body of the pet and other unpleasant consequences. To prevent the formation of tangles, the pet needs to be combed daily and when bathing, use suitable products for long-haired cats.