No matter how much we love our pets, we must admit that they are carriers of various parasites, including helminths. People containing animal houses have been struggling with helminthic infestations for their pets for many years. Specialists have developed many tools to help from this scourge. One of them is Dirofen Plus tablets.
Characteristics of the drug Dirofen Plus for cats
Dirofen Plus is an anthelmintic of veterinary importance. Its manufacturer is a company widely known in the Russian market of veterinary drugs - Api-San LLC.
Release forms and composition
The drug Dirofen Plus has a single form of release - tablets. But they are produced in three dosages:
- Dirofen Plus for kittens and puppies - tablets weighing 120 mg;
- Dirofen Plus for cats and dogs of small and medium breeds - tablets weighing 200 mg;
- Dirofen Plus for dogs of large breeds - tablets weighing 1000 mg.
Since in this article we are interested in cats as pets, we will focus on the first two options:
- Dirofen Plus for kittens and puppies:
- febantel - 15 mg;
- praziquantel - 5 mg;
- pyrantela pamoate - 15 mg.
- Dirofen Plus for cats and dogs of small and medium breeds:
- febantel - 75 mg;
- praziquantel - 25 mg;
- pyrantel pamoate - 75 mg.
The set of auxiliary components is the same in both cases:
- calcium stearate;
- microcrystalline cellulose.
The shape of the tablets is flat, round, color - with barely noticeable yellowness. One side has the AS logo, the other has a dividing line. There are two types of packaging:
- blisters containing 6 tablets;
- jars of plastic with 6 tablets.
Packing in any form is packed in a box of thick paper, instructions are also attached.
Photo Gallery: Varieties of Dirofen Plus
- Dirofen Plus is a complex Russian-made anthelmintic, active against helminths at any stage of their development
- Dirofen Plus for dogs of large breeds is packed in plastic jars
- The dosage of active substances Dirofen Plus for puppies and kittens is 5 times less than for adult animals
The mode of action of the drug
Dirofen Plus is a combined drug whose action is aimed at helminths most common in cats and dogs - nematodes and cestodes.
Nematodes are roundworms, cestodes are tapeworms.
The combination of active components effectively affects worms, leading to their death:
- Pyrantela pamoat acts as a blocker of nerve impulses, thereby causing helminth paralysis. Subsequently, approximately 93% of dead worms are excreted during bowel movements.
- Praziquantel actively affects the cestode in the digestive tract, regardless of the phase of their development. It destroys the muscle tissue of parasites and almost completely leaves the urine per day.
- Febantel - its action is based on a violation of the absorption of glucose by the body of the helminth. The process leads to the destruction of the cellular structure of the parasite, and the worm dies.
The tablet of Dirofen, moving along the digestive tract, begins active activity exclusively in the intestine. There is no pronounced toxic effect on the pet. According to GOST 12.1.001–76 - 4th hazard class (low hazard substances).
Indications for use in cats
The instruction reports: the drug is intended as a therapeutic and prophylactic agent for helminthic infestations in cats in adulthood, in kittens from three weeks of age. Recommended for:
- mixed lesions of the cat's body.
Video: how to understand that a cat has worms
Dosage and instructions for use
Dirofen Plus is administered orally. The best time is on an empty stomach. The necessary dose is mixed with a small amount of food and is offered to the pet right away. With proven helminthic invasions (detection of worms in the feces or according to the results of an analysis in a veterinary clinic), the drug must be used twice. This is necessary to capture parasites at any stage of development. The period between doses is 14 days.
It is worth noting that when using Dirofen Plus, you do not need to make the cat starve or give her laxatives.
Dirofen dosage is based on the calculation:
- kittens older than 21 days - for each kilogram of weight 1 tablet Dirofen Plus for kittens and puppies;
- for adult cats and cats - for every five kilograms of weight 1 tablet Dirofen Plus for cats and dogs of small and medium breeds.
The manufacturer does not recommend combining Dirofen Plus with products containing piperazine, which slows down the absorption of anthelmintic drugs.
Anthelmintic of my four cats on a schedule every three months. They walk on the street by themselves, so the likelihood that they have worms is very high. While they were kittens, feeding them a pill was not difficult. Now cats have accumulated tricks, and to keep them even wrapped in a towel is simply impossible. Therefore, unfortunately, drugs in tablets are no longer suitable for us. It is good that veterinary pharmaceuticals do not stand still, I use expensive drugs that are applied to the withers. They protect (depending on the specific name) immediately and from fleas, and ticks, and worms. It is very convenient and profitable.
Video: how to give a cat a pill
Contraindications and side effects
- individual intolerance to the drug or its components;
- animal depletion;
Anthelmintic drugs dangerous for malnourished animals
- infectious diseases;
- postoperative period;
- young age (up to 3 weeks);
- pregnancy in the first trimester.
If Dirofen Plus is given to a cat according to the dosage suggested by the manufacturer, then there are no side effects. In rare cases, you may experience:
- loose stools;
- increased salivation.
Special instructions and precautions
Pregnant cats can be prescribed about 21 days before delivery, but they are administered under the strict supervision of a veterinarian. A lactating cat can take Dirofen Plus after delivery in 14 days.
Precautions are personal hygiene. It is also necessary to adhere to safety regulations:
- You can not give the cat a drug while smoking, taking drinks and food.
- After the procedure is completed, wash your hands thoroughly with soap.
- Pill packaging should be disposed of properly (in household waste).
- If a person is prone to allergies caused by the components of the drug, then direct contact with the drug should be avoided (carry out all manipulations with rubber gloves and a medical mask).
If Dirofen has entered the human body, you should urgently consult a doctor.
Table: analogues of the drug Dirofen Plus
|Title||Active substance||Indications||Contraindications||Side effects||Cost|
- pyrantela embonate;
|Helminthic invasions caused by round and tape helminths|
- kittens up to three weeks of age;
- pregnant cats in the first and second trimester.
|The total mass is not observed, rarely:|
- vomiting with foam.
|From 270 p.|
|Profender (drops)||Kittens under 8 weeks old weighing less than 0.5 kg||The total mass is not observed, rarely:|
- redness of the skin.
|From 700 r.|
- pyrantela pamoat;
- infectious diseases;
- conditions after surgery;
- kittens up to 3 weeks old;
- renal and hepatic failure.
- suspension - 117 p.;
- tablets (6 pcs.) - 105 p.
Photo gallery: drugs to replace Dirofen Plus
- Prazicide for cats is a tool that quickly and effectively allows you to solve the problem with worms in a pet
- Drontal for cats is available in tablets, each of which is designed for 4 kg of weight
- Convenience of drops Profender in external application
Where to buy Dirofen Plus
The drug is easy to purchase at any veterinary pharmacy. A prescription from a doctor is not required. Its cost is approximately 180-250 p.
Owners of cats who use Dirofen Plus for the treatment of helminthic infestations in pets should pay attention to the instructions for storing the drug:
- dark place;
- humidity in the room should be low;
- air temperature should not be lower than -10 and more than +20 degrees Celsius.
You can not store the drug in the immediate vicinity of food, as well as in places where children or animals can get.
The instructions say that a pre-starvation diet is not required. They decided to follow the instructions, and just in the morning before the meal they gave Dirofen a kitten. The effect was this: by the end of the day, quite a lot of live helminths came out, and they came out not only during an act of defecation, but they themselves climbed out of the anus. By morning, everything went on and on, for a week there were no parasites in the feces. But a week later they appeared again, as before using the drug. Because this is practically the only gentle preparation for small kittens, they decided to give it again, but they ALREADY STANDED THE HUNGER DIET for about 12–16 hours. As soon as they gave the paste, the kitten began to salivate profusely, as indicated in the instructions. After 5 minutes it passed and the kitten ate. Further, in the evening, a lot of worms appeared in the feces, mostly alive. After, already within a month and a half, parasites were not observed. Conclusion: follow a starvation diet (for example, do not feed in the evening and give a paste in the morning before eating) and re-deworming after 7-10 days.
my cat dirofen eats easily, doesn’t spit it out ... she generally eats medications or vitamins without problems, the main thing is to put it on the root of the tongue, shut her mouth, and mustache .. swallowed and the business then .. ;-))) knows that she won’t get out .. obeys ..
R & Rafaga
Helminthiasis is dangerous for a cat at any age, and the owner has a risk of infection. Therefore, the owner must in time prevent the appearance and development of helminthic invasions. The drug Dirofen Plus is well suited for this because of its low toxicity to animals and high enough efficiency.