The power of the mastiff and the slightly melancholy muzzle of the basset hound is voila, we have a representative of the breed bloodhound. To this one can add intelligence, goodwill and affection for the owner. Such a handsome man involuntarily attracts the eyes of passers-by, but in his rules not to notice excessive curiosity. What is known about these handsome men?
Bloodhound breed origin
This breed, originally from Belgium, has a rich history, since its ancestors participated in the hunting of medieval royal persons of European states. Although the bloodhounds have Belgian roots, the breed got its development in England. It was here that the local aristocracy became interested in breeding the most ancient hounds of dogs.
Until now, the name of the breed has been controversial in the scientific community, because in translation, the bloodhound means "dog of blood." According to one version, it is associated with the ability of dogs to pursue wounded prey by the smell of blood. According to another, they suggest that we are talking about the purebred representatives of this breed.
Before the penetration of bloodhounds into other European countries, this breed was bred by monks in one of the Belgian monasteries. The first mention that a dog of this breed set foot on English lands dates back to the 10th century. And this happened with the light hand of William the Conqueror.
The excellent hunting abilities of the bloodhound were immediately appreciated, in addition, their sense of smell was useful for search operations. This is their first property that Americans applied. Dogs could easily find a person in impenetrable forests, and their endurance allowed them to work around the clock.
Bloodhounds were also used to calculate the criminals by examining the scene of the crime with their nose, the dog could accurately determine who the fragrance belonged to.
This work revealed the characteristics of the breed - a complete lack of aggression. All subsequent attempts to develop anger in dogs and to teach how to attack a person were unsuccessful.
Bloodhounds entered the territory of the Russian state in the 16th century. But after the death of Peter the Great, interest in the breed began to fade, and its representatives soon completely disappeared from the country.
The second wave of popularity in Russia overtook the breed only at the end of the 20th century. Today there is no particular fashion for bloodhounds, but there are still special kennels and ordinary lovers involved in breeding these unusual dogs.
It will be interesting: why does the Bloodhound drool .
Bloodhound Dog Breed Description
Thoroughbred individuals are very powerful and colorful, with a specific appearance:
- Most impressive is their head - large, grand, beautiful. In profile, it can be seen that it has the shape of a square. In the area of the forehead and cheeks, the skin forms characteristic folds, which, when the head is tilted, noticeably sag. In males, this symptom is more pronounced.
- The nose of the bloodhounds is large, with a black or brown lobe and wide nostrils. The lips are long and soft, with the upper covering the lower. The corners of the lips form massive bryl, again more developed in males. The surface of the lips has pigmentation to match the nose.
- A scissor bite , but the standard is also straight. The powerful jaw is equipped with strong, white teeth.
- Eye color can be dark brown, hazel, and amber for representatives of the breed that do not have black shabra.
- The eyes are medium, do not protrude outward and do not subside, do not water. Due to the sagging of the lower eyelid, redness is allowed in the corners of the eyes. Bloodhounds look kind, somewhat bored.
- The ears of the dogs are thin, very pleasant to the touch, reminiscent of velvet, have a low rise.
- The neck , as with most hunting dogs, is long, muscular, which allows them to chase prey, constantly smelling the ground.
- The back of the bloodhounds, straight, strong with a strong lower back. The sternum is wide, forming a keel between the front legs. The tail is fleshy, has the shape of a saber.
- The limbs of the dogs, that are front, that are hind, strong, with developed muscles, with correctly set elbows.
- The skin is soft, has good elasticity. Forming folds in the area of the muzzle, its accumulation on the body of the animal is not welcome.
The coat of bloodhounds is dense, tough, and is an excellent protection against bad weather. In the area of the head and ears, the hair is shorter and softer, while the lower line of the tail is longer and coarser.
There are three colors of bloodhounds:
- black-red - in this case, the black coat may be a cloak or cheprak;
- red - the shade can change from light to dark, the opposite color change - to a lighter is not welcome.
The location of the color zones is not clear; light spots are allowed on black areas. Small white areas are allowed but not encouraged.
The ideal growth of a bloodhound male is about 68 cm, females - within 62 cm. The weight of the male varies from 46 to 54 kg, the female from 40 to 48 kg. Moreover, the maximum weight should correspond to the maximum height.
These dogs have aristocratic manners and have unlimited love for their family. They are gentle and reverent towards children, allowing any liberty in their address. This often leads to the fact that the dog has to be protected from the child, but never vice versa. Children should be brought up here so that they do not hurt the pet and do not take away food and toys.
Among representatives of the breed, individuals are quite timid and shy. But this does not prevent them from being stubborn. This feature requires a special approach during training - with affection and firmness at the same time.
Dog breed Bloodhound photo
Bloodhounds can coexist with other pets, conflicts rarely occur, and they can be directed to dogs of the same sex. But in general, dogs are very hospitable and peaceful. Not every bloodhound can fully protect the territory from unwanted guests.
It is better to keep the pet on a walk on a leash, because, having become interested in any aroma, it can follow it and get lost. Experts are sure that the unique sense of smell of dogs of this breed allows them to move along the smell that was left 3-4 days ago and overcome all the way. This allows them to be involved in the search service.
Like all hunters, bloodhounds eat everything in a row, so you should educate them and watch what the pet absorbs. The puppy age in these dogs lasts up to 2 years.
Good to know:
How to care for a thoroughbred pet
- Bloodhound dogs are unpretentious in grooming . It is enough to process short wool with a special brush a couple of times a week. Frequent bathing is also not required, only if the pet is not very dirty. After taking a bath, the pet should not be dried with a hairdryer; it is better to wipe it with a large towel with a hard surface. This procedure is enough to make the dog’s coat shine and look well-groomed.
- The beautiful ears of the bloodhound perfectly collect dust and dirt, so they should be wiped several times a month with napkins or cotton swabs.
- The vulnerability of bloodhounds is the eyes in the places of sagging skin of the eyelids, dust particles easily penetrate the resulting gap and can cause inflammation of the conjunctiva. Therefore, it is important to inspect and rinse them regularly if necessary. In this situation, you can use tea leaves and be sure to seek help from a veterinarian.
- Dogs living in apartment conditions do not naturally claw, so they need to be trimmed with a special clipper .
- The stamina and activity of bloodhounds requires everyday physical activity. If the dog is not stimulated, then he will do his favorite thing for more than one hour - to sniff out traces on the ground. Therefore, it is important to play with the pet, run, you can use the inventory. Active walking should be at least 1.5 hours.
- Care should be focused on the physiological characteristics of the dog. For example, the skin under the folds can chatter and should be periodically moved apart and inspected.
- In addition, representatives of the breed are prone to inversion and eversion of the eyelids, and special care is required here. At the slightest suspicion of an illness, you need to contact the veterinarian, as these diseases do not go away by themselves, but only progress.
- Bloodhounds often suffer from diseases of the musculoskeletal system, which are mainly associated with malnutrition. It is necessary to provide the pet with a balanced diet, this is especially important during the period of rapid development and growth of the dog.
Knowing the tendency of dogs to diseases of bones and joints (for example, arthrosis ), breeders recommend newly-made owners of bloodhounds to pay maximum attention to this aspect.
It is not recommended to drastically change the diet, as the animal may suffer from an upset gastrointestinal tract. Therefore, it is worth checking with the seller what the puppy has been eating lately.
The daily diet is calculated based on the weight of the dog. She should be her fifth. Mandatory presence of vitamin-mineral complexes in feeding a puppy, but only on the recommendation of a veterinarian.
Bloodhounds in the diet require the presence of fiber, carbohydrate and protein component. The dog can be given dairy products, cereals, bread, vegetables. Among vegetables, only potatoes are not recommended.
Meat is the basis of the daily menu of any dog, including the bloodhound. Of the total number of food, it and offal should be 2/3. Sometimes a pet can be given low-fat fish, boiled and previously cleared of bones. Boiled chicken, turkey meat is also recommended before serving, as it can negatively affect digestion.
It is not recommended that dogs of this breed be fully transferred to finished feed. They can be given as an additional source of trace elements in the form of top dressing or promotion. The main food should remain natural products.
Bloodhound puppies photo
How much is a puppy of a bloodhound
This breed, despite not very high demand, is very, very expensive. A puppy with a pedigree from a private seller on average will cost 45,000 rubles. In the nursery prices are slightly higher:
- A friend in the family will cost about 60,000 rubles.
- A pet for subsequent breeding, but without an exhibition career - about 70,000.
- And the price of a puppy from parents-champions, with excellent characteristics and an exhibition future - will be 80,000 rubles.
Before acquiring a thoroughbred puppy, it is worthwhile to understand that this breed is suitable exclusively for active people with a solid hand and experience in keeping dogs.
Bloodhound kennel throughout Russia, Ukraine http://www.bloodhound-nadezhda-ksenii.ru/news.htm