For centuries, one of the main tasks of domesticated dogs has been to protect human homes from unwanted intrusions. Over time, breeders managed to lay in the nature of some breeds precisely those qualities that are necessary for a good watchdog. Of these dogs, those who are able to live happily on the site are most suitable for protecting private homes.
Qualities Required by a Watch Dog
In the list of dogs that can become a good guard, there are more than a dozen breeds. Many of these dogs were once shepherd dogs, some were originally bred for protection, some companion dogs are suitable for difficult work. Here is a list of some qualities to look for in a future guard:
- Developed territorial instincts. Dogs, who initially believe that the house and the plot is a territory entrusted to their cares and are eager to protect it, will obviously find their calling in the guard service.
- Ability to respond with restraint to stimuli. There is nothing worse than a kennel guard dog. She torments both owners and neighbors. Good watchdogs know when to stop barking, and in which case you don’t have to start at all. And even more so, they will not, choking with anger, break the chain, risking asphyxiation in vain.
- The impressive sizes. Of course, small dogs can also become good watchmen, but for a private thought, dogs that look dangerous at first, whose appearance signals to intruders, “Don’t even try,” are better suited.
- Intelligence. It is worthwhile to understand that most four-legged friends, even if their breed is listed as a guard dog, need training. In addition, a dog with a developed intellect will be able to better distinguish between threats, unusual irritants and what is not worth his attention as a guard.
- Physical endurance and good health. Guard dogs guarding private homes live in kennels or enclosures. They must be adapted for long outdoor activities in different weather conditions.
- Many owners want their guard to be stern with strangers and gentle and affectionate with family members.
See also: How to identify and treat allergies in dogs
These dogs come to many minds when it comes to choosing the best guard breed. Their steady character, unwavering devotion and extremely high intelligence allowed the dogs to establish themselves as faithful companions able to cope with any task entrusted to the owner. German Shepherd Shelf Life: 10-15 years. At the withers, dogs reach 65 cm, weigh about 30-40 kg.
They have powerful bones, perfect proportions of a muscular body and thick coat. It is not by chance that these dogs are as popular as service dogs, because they naturally contain truly German pedantry and a desire to follow instructions.
Dobermans have a strong reputation for dogs that are prone to aggression, but the owners of these dogs are well aware that sentimental and gentle pets are hiding behind the sleek appearance of the hired killer, they only show these qualities exclusively “among their own”. Dobermans are fearless, quick and stubborn. These are strong dogs with a compact muscular body covered with shiny short hair.
Doberman pinschers reach a height of 72 cm, weigh no more than 45 kg and live about 10-13 years. According to studies, the breed is one of the five most intelligent and easily trained dogs.
See also: Description of the Jack Russell Terrier dog
Giant Schnauzers are wonderful guard dogs, but for good health they just need attention from the owner. These dogs will faithfully guard the territory, but they do not belong to those four-legged, who are able to serve for months, enjoying loneliness. It is important for them to know for whom they are doing this. And since these dogs are smart, they can be very harmful if they get bored alone.
Schnauzers have an excellent thick, tough and dense coat that perfectly protects the dog from the weather, charming muzzles with a beard and mustache and a solid physique. At the withers, dogs reach 70 cm, weigh up to 47 kg and can live up to 15 years.
Bred by order of the Soviet government in the post-war years, this breed combines all the best that its "parents" are famous for: the physical form, charm and intelligence of St. Bernard and the poise, assertiveness and independence of the Caucasian shepherd. These are one of the largest dogs in both height and weight. They can reach 70 cm at the withers and weigh about 70 kg. Their wonderful thick fur coat covers a muscular body with powerful paws.
It is impossible to resist their sad, big-faced snouts, but behind this sentimental mask lies a smart, balanced and fearless guard who can take control of a vast territory.
Exotic handsome Akita Inu can be aggressive in relation not only to strangers, but also to other dogs. However, these are excellent watchmen, strong and powerful, able to endure the cold without problems, thanks to the thick luxurious skin. The owners call their Akita Inu “angels in fur”, as they are surprisingly friendly, gentle and trusting with their own. Dogs are especially careful with children.
See also: Black, white, Chinese, "panda" - and other interesting varieties of German shepherds
It should be noted that this breed is not for beginners, they need a master who can control them with a firm hand, otherwise Akita begin to think that they are the main ones. Dogs live 10-12 years old, growing up to 70 cm at the withers with a weight of 40-50 kg.
Rottweiler is a dog, in the genes of which is the desire to please its owner. These are squat strong working dogs, good-natured and obedient with their own, but not prone to sentiments with violators. Rottweilers are smart and able to confidently respond to everything that happens, not to rush thoughtlessly into the attack, but to wait and even, as their owners say, analyze the situation.
They are one of the most territorial dogs in the world and, when training them, it is important to humble “royal” ambitions somewhat, showing that the subject area is much smaller than they would like. Healthy, muscular, with a thick glossy coat, they feel good in nature. It should be remembered that rottweilers need constant physical activity, as they like to eat and tend to accumulate fat. According to the standard, the height of the dogs at the withers should be at least 60 cm, they weigh up to 60 kg and live 8-10 years.